جديد

سينيكا

سينيكا


We are searching data for your request:

Forums and discussions:
Manuals and reference books:
Data from registers:
Wait the end of the search in all databases.
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.

كان لوسيوس آنيوس سينيكا (سينيكا الأصغر ، 4 ق.م - 65 م) مؤلفًا رومانيًا ، وكاتبًا مسرحيًا ، وخطيبًا ، والأهم من ذلك أنه معلم ومستشار للإمبراطور الروماني نيرو (ص. متأثرًا بالفلسفة الرواقية ، كتب العديد من الأطروحات الفلسفية و 124 رسالة حول القضايا الأخلاقية ، و Epistulae موراليس (الرسائل الأخلاقية). كمدرس لـ Nero ، حاول أن ينقل فلسفته عن الحياة الفاضلة ، وبمساعدة حاكم الحرس Pretorian ، Burrus ، حاول إبقاء تساهل Nero تحت السيطرة. على الرغم من بذل قصارى جهده واتهامه زوراً بأنه جزء من مؤامرة لاغتيال الإمبراطور ، فقد أُمر بالانتحار من قبل نيرون المصاب بجنون العظمة.

الحياة المبكرة والنفي

ولد سينيكا في قرطبة ، إسبانيا (إسبانيا) في 4 قبل الميلاد ، وينحدر من عائلة ثرية من أصول إيطالية ، مما جعله تلقائيًا مواطنًا رومانيًا. كان لديه شقيقان ، أم ، هيلفيا ، وأب مشهور ، سينيكا الأكبر ، مؤلف ومعلم البلاغة. أمضى سينيكا سنواته التكوينية في دراسة كل من القواعد والبلاغة في روما ، وأثناء وجوده هناك ، طور اهتمامًا مدى الحياة بالفلسفة ، وحضر محاضرات حول الرواقية ، وهي فلسفة يونانية تليق بشخصيته وواضحة في جميع أطروحاته. وفقًا لأحد مؤيديها ، Epictetus ، يجب على المرء أن يعيش حياة من الهدوء والصفاء ورباطة الجأش ، ويمكن تحقيق راحة البال من خلال ضبط النفس.

مع كون بوروس حليفًا له ، أصبحوا مستشاري الإمبراطور الشاب ، في محاولة للسيطرة على تساهله وتعليمه كيفية الحكم بحكمة.

كان سينيكا يعاني دائمًا من اعتلال صحته ، وسافر إلى مصر للعيش مع عمته ، وعاد إلى روما في 31 م. بعد عودته إلى المدينة ، اكتسب شهرة كخطيب ، وأصبح في نهاية المطاف القسطور. لسوء الحظ ، واجه الإمبراطور كاليجولا (حكم من 37 إلى 41 م) وكلوديوس (حكم 41-54 م). من المفترض أنه متورط في علاقة زنا مع جوليا لوفيلا ، الأخت الصغرى لكاليجولا ، ونُفي إلى كورسيكا في 41 م. ومع ذلك ، أثناء وجوده في المنفى لم يقف مكتوف الأيدي ، واصل دراسته للفلسفة وكتب سلسلة من الرسائل.

في عام 49 م ، تم استدعاؤه إلى روما من خلال تأثير أغريبينا الأصغر ، أخت كاليجولا وأم الإمبراطور الروماني المستقبلي نيرو. في كتابه The حوليات الإمبراطورية روماكتب تاسيتوس عن عودته:

لذلك قامت الآن بتأمين استدعاء لوسيوس آنيوس سينيكا من المنفى وتعيينه لمنصب رئيس. وقد رأت أنه بسبب سمعته الأدبية ، سيكون هذا الأمر شائعًا. لديها أيضًا تصميمات عليه كمدرس متميز لابنها الصغير لوسيوس دوميتيوس أهينوباربوس (نيرو). نصيحة Seneca يمكن أن تخدم خططهم للسيادة…. (255)

أضافت تاسيتوس أنها تعتقد أنه سيكون مخلصًا لها - بسبب استدعائه - ومعادٍ لزوجها ، كلوديوس ، الذي نفاه. آمن في منصبه كمدرس ومستشار للإمبراطور المستقبلي ، تزوج سينيكا من بومبيا بولينا. وفي هذا الوقت أيضًا أصبح صديقًا مقربًا لمحافظ الحرس البروتوري سكستوس أفريانيوس بوروس. كانت صداقة ستفيدهما في النهاية. دعاهم تاسيتوس "شركاء في السلطة".

مدرس ومستشار نيرو

عندما بلغ نيرو الصغير الثانية عشرة من عمره ، تولى سينيكا مهامه كمعلم نيرو ، ومع كون بوروس حليفًا له ، أصبحوا مستشاري الإمبراطور الشاب ، في محاولة للسيطرة على تساهله وتعليمه كيفية الحكم بحكمة. كان كلاهما مؤثرين للغاية على الإمبراطور الشاب ولكن بطرق مختلفة تمامًا. كتب تاسيتوس أن قوة بوروس تكمن في "جدية شخصيته" وكفاءته بينما كان سينيكا رجلاً ذا مبادئ عالية.

تاريخ الحب؟

اشترك في النشرة الإخبارية الأسبوعية المجانية عبر البريد الإلكتروني!

لقد تعاونوا في السيطرة على مراهقة الإمبراطور المحفوفة بالمخاطر ؛ كانت سياستهم هي توجيه انحرافاته عن الفضيلة إلى قنوات التساهل المرخصة. واجه عنف أجريبينا ، الذي أشعلته كل عواطف الاستبداد غير المشروع ، معارضتهم الموحدة. (285)

بصرف النظر عن كتابة خطب نيرون ، كان سينيكا يعلمه فلسفته وأدب ربيبه الشاب على أمل أن ترشده هذه الموضوعات إلى ممارسة الحكومة الجيدة. كان الخطيب الشهير أيضًا يثير فيه حب الموسيقى والمسرح ؛ شيء يندم عليه أقرانه يومًا ما. ملاحظة غريبة واحدة حول تعريف سينيكا للحكومة الجيدة: يجب على الإمبراطور أن يتسامح مع عداء من حوله. يجب على المرء أن يعرف الفرق بين إمبراطور جيد وطاغية.

أظهر التاريخ أن نيرون لم يستمع إلى نصيحة معلمه. أخيرًا ، عند وفاة الإمبراطور كلوديوس في 54 م ، تولى نيرون العرش في سن السابعة عشرة. وللأسف ، على الأقل بالنسبة للإمبراطور ، لن تكون قوته وحدها ، لأن والدته كانت تعتقد أن نفوذها سيستمر. سرعان ما تعلمت أنه لم يكن ليكون كذلك. سيغير موتها كل شيء ليس فقط لنيرو ولكن أيضًا لسينيكا وبوروس. أصبح نيرون الآن حرًا في أن يكون من يشاء وأن يلبي رغباته الداخلية.
بعد وفاة والدته ، أرسل نيرون خطابًا إلى مجلس الشيوخ الروماني يدينها ، متهمًا أغريبينا ، من بين أمور أخرى ، بالتآمر لقتله. وفقًا للرسالة ، كان موتها "عناية الإلهية".

لم يقبل مجلس الشيوخ ، بالطبع ، اتهامات الإمبراطور ، ووفقًا لتاسيتوس ، "لم تسقط الإدانة على نيرون ، الذي أثار سلوكه الوحشي الانتقاد ، بل على سينيكا الذي ألف خطاب تجريم نفسه" (318). للأسف ، شوه الحادث سمعة الخطيب ، وستزداد الأمور سوءًا. في عام 62 م ، توفي بوروس ، على ما يبدو ، وفقًا للمؤرخ الروماني سوتونيوس ، بالسم ، تاركًا سينيكا للتشكيك في مصيره. سرعان ما أدرك أن تأثيره على نيرو كان يتضاءل. تدريجيًا ، انسحب من الحياة العامة ، وكرس نفسه لكتابة أطروحات عن الفلسفة الرواقية. متورط في مؤامرة بيزو لاغتيال الإمبراطور ، أمر سينيكا بالانتحار. في القياصرة الاثنا عشر ، كتب Suetonius:

عندما طلب معلمه سينيكا مرارًا وتكرارًا المغادرة للتقاعد وتنازل عن جميع ممتلكاته ، أقسم نيرو أنه ليس لديه سبب للشك في الرجل العجوز ، الذي كان يفضل الموت على الأذى ؛ لكنه دفعه إلى الانتحار مع ذلك. (229)

موت

بسبب معتقداته الرواقية القوية ، مات سينيكا بكرامة في 65 م. لقد تعلم سينيكا من تعاليم الفيلسوف اليوناني إبيقور أنه لا ينبغي لأحد أن يخشى الموت. مع حلول اليوم ، تحدث إلى أصدقائه وعانق زوجته. كانت قد خططت للموت معه لكن نيرو أصدر أوامر بمنعها. موته لن يأتي بسهولة. لقد قطع الشرايين بين ذراعيه ، لكن بسبب نظامه الغذائي المقتصد وهشاشة هيكله ، لم يمت. شرب السم - كما فعل الفيلسوف اليوناني الشهير سقراط - ثم وُضع في حمام ساخن حيث اختنق بالبخار.

تم دفن جسده دون طقوس الدفن. بحسب تاسيتوس:

... جسد سينيكا المسن ، النحيل من العيش القاسي ، أطلق الدم ببطء شديد. فقطع ايضا عروق كاحليه وخلف ركبتيه. منهكًا من الألم الشديد ، كان يخشى إضعاف قدرة زوجته على التحمل من خلال خيانة عذابه - أو فقدان ثقته بنفسه ... (376)

الأشغال والفلسفة

على الرغم من ضياع البعض ، إلا أن كتاباته صمدت عبر العصور وأثرت على عدد لا يحصى من الفلاسفة ومؤلفي النثر والشعر. ينسى معظم الناس أنه كان كاتبًا مسرحيًا وفيلسوفًا. تناولت مسرحياته التسعة - التي يشار إليها غالبًا باسم مآسي "الخزانة" - أبطال الأساطير اليونانية مثل هرقل (هرقل في الأساطير الرومانية) ، وأوديب ، والميديا.

تمت كتابة معظم أطروحاته في شكل حوارات أخلاقية لصديقه العزيز لوسيليوس. من أهم أعماله:

  • Epistulae موراليس (الرسائل الأخلاقية) - أطول أعماله النثرية التي كتبها حوالي 65 م ، والتي تضم 124 خطبة مختصرة في 20 كتابًا ، تغطي مجموعة متنوعة من الموضوعات من النباتية إلى المعاملة الإنسانية للعبيد
  • دي فيتا بياتا - عن كيفية عيش حياة سعيدة.
  • دي Beneficiis - أطروحة عن القانون الاجتماعي الروماني
  • دي ترانكويليت أنيمي - على طمأنينة العقل
  • De Brevitate Vitae - في إيجاز الحياة
  • De Consolatione إلى Polybium - كتب إلى محرر كلوديوس على أمل استخدام نفوذه ليتم استدعاؤه من المنفى
  • De Consolatione إعلان Helviam - كتب لوالدته هيلفيا خلال فترة وجوده في المنفى
  • دي كليمنتيا - بالرحمة ، كتبت إلى نيرون تنصحه بممارسة الفضيلة
  • دي ايرا - على الغضب
  • De Consolatione ad Marciam - تعاليم رواقية لامرأة عن وفاة ابنها
  • دي بروفيدنتيا - في العناية الإلهية
  • دي كونستانتيا سابينتيس - مقال يحتضن القوة الداخلية للرجل الحكيم
  • دي أوتيو - في أوقات الفراغ

كان الموت موضوعًا بارزًا في العديد من كتاباته ، وخلال رسائله ، روج لمعتقداته الرواقية. بالنسبة إلى سينيكا ، كان الموت محرراً ، وهو جزء من دورة الحياة الطبيعية: "من الحماقة أن تموت من الخوف من الموت." (روم ، 77) في كتابه الرسائل الأخلاقيةكتب إلى لوسيليوس:

أولئك الذين تعلموا كيف يموتون لم يتعلموا كيف يكونون عبيدًا. إنها قوة تفوق وتتجاوز كل القوى الأخرى ... هناك سلسلة واحدة فقط تقيدنا ، وهي حب الحياة. (2 -3)

عانى سينيكا من حالة تنفسية طوال حياته وحتى فكر في الانتحار. بالنسبة له ، إذا كان الشخص يعتقد أن الأمل ضئيل ، فإن الانتحار هو الحل المحتمل. "... إذا أصبح الجسد عديم الفائدة لأداء وظائفه ، أليس من المناسب إخراج العقل المجاهد منه؟" (72) ومع ذلك ، فإنه لن يُنهي حياته بسبب المرض إذا كان هناك علاج ، لكنه سيفكر في ذلك إذا فقد عقله ولم يتنفس إلا. وأضاف: "هل تعتقد أن هناك ما نخسره من الحياة أقسى من إنهاءها؟" (73)

في رسالة موجهة إلى مارسيا (De Consolatione ad Marciam)، هو كتب:

الموت هو هلاك كل أحزاننا ، نهاية لا يمكن أن تذهب آفاتنا وراءها ؛ إنه يعيدنا إلى ذلك السلام الذي وضعناه قبل أن نولد. (13)

إذا كان الشخص يشفق على الموتى ، فيجب عليه أيضًا أن يشفق على الجنين. يجب على المرء أن يعرف كيف يموت جيدا. لا أحد يذهب بمرح إلا أولئك الذين استعدوا. كتب إلى لوسيليوس يتحدث عن استعداده:

بالنسبة لنفسي ، لن أرفض إضافة سنوات أخرى. لكني سأقول إنني لم يكن ينقصني شيء يجعل هذه الحياة سعيدة ... أعتبر كل يوم كما لو كان آخر يوم لي. (49)

عاش سينيكا ومات متمسكًا بمبادئه الرواقية القوية. مات بكرامة ولم يخاف الموت. لقد كان جزءًا من دورة الحياة الطبيعية.

ميراث

تتبنى أطروحات سينيكا وجهات نظره حول الكيفية التي يجب أن يكون عليها الشخص ، وأن يعيش حياة من الهدوء والسكينة والهدوء. كمدرس ومستشار للإمبراطور الشاب نيرون ، حاول أن ينقل فلسفته عن الحياة الفاضلة. كن قائدا جيدا لا طاغية. لسوء الحظ ، لم تلق تعاليمه آذاناً صاغية. بعد وفاة Agrippina ، كان Nero حراً في فعل ما يشاء وأصبح الطاغية الذي كان سينيكا يأمل في منعه. على الرغم من أنها ليست جزءًا من مؤامرة بيزو لاغتيال نيرون ، إلا أن أيام سينيكا كانت معدودة. كان الإمبراطور المصاب بجنون العظمة الذي رأى المؤامرات في كل مكان ينظف المنزل ، وأصبح معلمه القديم ضحية. لحسن الحظ ، صمدت رسائل سينيكا. لقد أثروا في أجيال لا تحصى من الكتاب.


سينيكا - التاريخ

تتمتع سينيكا بتاريخ فخور منذ أن تأسست لأول مرة في منتصف خمسينيات القرن التاسع عشر. في ذلك الوقت ، شكل أربعة رجال شركة بلدة. تلقى أحد هؤلاء الرجال ، فينلي لابين ، ادعاءً بأنه الشخص المسؤول عن تسمية بلدتنا. كان فينلي ، قبل الهجرة إلى مقاطعة نيماها ، مقيماً في مقاطعة شمال وسط أوهايو. المقاطعة الحدودية في ولاية أوهايو كانت مقاطعة سينيكا. لذلك ، فإن هذا التفسير لكيفية اكتساب مدينتنا لاسمها يبدو معقولاً. على أقل تقدير ، فإنها تصنع قصة رائعة.

بحلول أوائل عام 1870 ، يجب أن تكون المناقشات قد جرت حول دمج سينيكا. مع التأسيس ، كان بإمكان سينيكا أن تحكم نفسها. مع وجود هذه الفكرة في أذهان العديد من سكان المدن الداعمين ، حدث التأسيس والباقي هو التاريخ. هذا يمهد الطريق لاحتفالنا الخامس والعشرين بعد المائة.

21 مايو 1870 - وفقًا لترتيب التأسيس ، انتخب الأمناء الخمسة سي جي.

3 يونيو 1870 - بحضور جميع الأمناء ، أصدرت لجنة اللوائح والمراسيم تقريراً وتم إصدار ما يلي:

  • مما يجعل بيع الخمور بدون ترخيص جنحة ، غرامة تتراوح بين 25 و 100 دولار.
  • الجلسات العادية الساعة 7 مساءً. في أول جمعة من كل شهر ، أو يدعوها الرئيس أو الأغلبية.
  • إزعاج السلام ، من 5 دولارات إلى 50 دولارًا وحتى 60 يومًا حسب تقدير قاضي الصلح
  • رسوم ترخيص مشروبات كحولية ثابتة لأي حانة أو متجر درامي أو بقالة من 250 دولارًا إلى 500 دولار سنويًا وعريضة موقعة بشكل إيجابي من غالبية الناخبين في الجناح حيث توجد هذه المؤسسة. تغريم المخالفين من 25 دولارًا إلى 100 دولار ولمدة تصل إلى 60 يومًا.
  • تم تغريم حمل أسلحة مخبأة من 1 دولار إلى 100 دولار وما يصل إلى 60 يومًا في سجن المدينة.
  • الإزعاج ، الغرامة من 1 دولار إلى 100 دولار في اليوم ، وضع مخلفات أو أشياء مسيئة أخرى بما في ذلك الجثث في حليف أو الشارع ، وغرامة من 5 دولارات إلى 25 دولارًا ، والشرطي لإخطار المستأجر أو المالك بإزعاج خاص أو مستقر وإذا لم يتم علاجه ، يمكن تغريمه من 10 دولارات إلى 100 دولار.
  • إنشاء رتبة شارع رئيسي. (انظر الصفحة 14)
  • منح منشورات المدينة إلى Nemaha Courier و Independent Press ، ليحصل كل منهما على نصف المعدل القانوني في كانساس.
  • توفير ضباط المدينة وتحديد واجبات الكاتب وأمين الصندوق والشرطي ومفوض الشوارع - نفس الرسوم الشرطية التي يُسمح بها لشرطي البلدة ، ومفوض الشوارع 2 دولار يوميًا مقابل الوقت الذي عمل فيه بالفعل ، وأمين الصندوق والموظف على حد سواء لتقديم السندات بالمبالغ المعتمدة وعدم تجاوزها 25 دولارًا في السنة.

3 يونيو 1870 - كلف الشرطي بمهمة إجراء إحصاء سكاني في مدينة سينيكا.

11 يونيو 1870 - عريضة مقدمة من Ingram & amp Lake و Assenmacher & amp Munch للحصول على ترخيص لبيع المشروبات الكحولية والتي تم طلب منحها عند دفع 300 دولار لكل ترخيص.

16 يونيو 1870 - تم تقديم سند من Ingram & amp Lake واعتماده. تم إيداع سند ج.سي.هيبارد والموافقة عليه.

17 يونيو 1870 - تم تعيين جوزيف شارب وكيلًا للبلدة.

بالعودة إلى التاريخ إلى عام 1866 ، صوتت مقاطعة نيماها 322 مقابل 247 لإصدار سندات سكك حديدية بقيمة 125000 دولار. عندما طلبت شركة السكك الحديدية المال في عام 1870 ، ترأس جون إي. سميث وفدًا للاحتجاج على إصدار السندات لأن اسم السكة الحديد قد تم تغييره إلى سانت جوزيف وأمبير جراند آيلاند ، ولم يكن هو نفسه الشركة الأصلية المتعاقد عليها. فاز سميث وأتباعه بقضيتهم في المحكمة العليا في كانساس ولم يتم إصدار السندات. ومع ذلك ، تم بناء خط السكة الحديد عبر سينيكا بحلول يونيو من عام 1870. ظهر طابقان أحدهما هو أن المدينة منحت السكة الحديدية 100 قدم من حق الطريق عبر المدينة و 10 أفدنة من الأرض في موقع المستودع. أشارت القصة الأخرى إلى أن المواطنين العاديين تعاملوا مع السكك الحديدية. تم إجراء هذه الصفقة ، وهي اتفاقية مضمونة لنفس حق الطريق وأراضي المستودع ، بواسطة C.G.Scrafford و J.P Taylor و 53 آخرين قبل تأسيس شركة Seneca. في كلتا الحالتين ، جاء خط السكة الحديد ومعه القدرة على التواصل عن طريق التلغراف.

29 يونيو 1870 - صدر المرسوم العاشر بمنح سكة حديد مدينة سانت جوزيف ودنفر حق طريقهما عبر سينيكا وطالب شركة السكك الحديدية ببناء جسر في الجانب الشرقي من المدينة.

1 يوليو 1870 - صدرت أوامر القبض الأولى للمدينة لدفع تكاليف المسح ، وتعداد المدينة ، وطباعة المراسيم ، وإنشاء الدرجة في الشارع الرئيسي. صدر الأمر رقم 11 بفرض غرامة تتراوح بين 50 و 500 دولار على غير المقيمين الذين يقدمون العروض أو السيرك أو المعارض دون ترخيص المدينة. المرسوم رقم 12 هو مرسوم القيادة السريعة أو المتهورة. تم تحديد تكلفة الملاحقة القضائية وغرامة قدرها 5 دولارات لأي شخص يركب حصانًا أو بغلًا أو أي حيوان آخر في المدينة في مشية مفرطة أو غاضبة أو خطيرة في أي شارع أو طريق داخل حدود الشركة. كان من المقرر أن يتلقى جوزيف شارب نصف الغرامات المفروضة على من يكسر السلام.

أول فواتير تسمية الشخص ، المهمة المنجزة ، والرسوم كانت إلى OC Bruner ، مسح موقع المدينة ، $ 44 WR Wells ، مساعدة ، $ 12 RP Furrow ، مساعدة ، $ 6 H. Linderman ، مساعدة ، $ 8 J. Morrill ، مساعدة ، $ 4 JT Bronaugh ، مساعدة ، $ 3 J. Gray ، help ، $ 3 E. Ingram ، help ، $ 4 RP Furrow ، أخذ التعداد ، $ 6 Paul Courier ، الطباعة ، $ 10.50 و W. Smith ، إنشاء الدرجة ، $ 25.

8 و 12 يوليو 1870 - تم طرح عطاءات لبناء مقياس مدينة في زقاق بلوك 71 (الجانب الشمالي من الشارع الرئيسي بين الشارعين الرابع والخامس الحاليين) وإنشاء سجن في المدينة. كان على B. Honneman أن يبني أساسًا لموازين المدينة مقابل 29 دولارًا. كان من المقرر أن يتلقى J.A Boyer 5 دولارات لرسم خطط لسجن المدينة. قدم C.W. ويليامز أقل عرض قيمته 275 دولارًا لبناء سجن. حدد المرسوم رقم 13 غرامة تتراوح بين 5 دولارات و 100 دولار و 10 إلى 30 يومًا في السجن لأي شخص يبيع أو يقايض أو يتخلى عن الخمور المسكرة لأي شخص كان معتادًا على أن يصبح مخموراً ، بعد تحذير أحد الأقارب بعدم القيام بذلك. ضابط مدني. وفُرضت عقوبات على السكر. سيتم إغلاق جميع الأماكن ، بما في ذلك الحانات والمنازل والمطاعم ومحلات البقالة والمقاهي والأقبية وصالات البلياردو التي تنتهك بيع الخمور وإعلانها مصدر إزعاج عام. كما تم حظر جميع أجهزة القمار. تم توجيه الأمر 14 إلى البائعين والمزادات غير المقيمين. تم تحديد رسوم الترخيص بمبلغ 2.50 دولارًا أمريكيًا في اليوم و 5.00 دولارات أمريكية لأكثر من يوم وأقل من أسبوع واحد. تم تحديد غرامات المخالفين من 10 دولارات إلى 100 دولار بالإضافة إلى التكاليف.

18 يوليو 1870 - تم تعيين لويس هيل وجاكوب ماكلين شرطي المدينة.

5 أغسطس 1870 - تم قبول أساس المقياس. تم توظيف جي إي تايلور لمقاضاة جون باشيل _ أون. كانت الفواتير المدفوعة لـ S.E. Clark ، الشحن ، 14.40 دولارًا لـ Paul Courier ، الطباعة ، 12 دولارًا Barney Honneman لإصلاح السجن ، 5 دولارات Barney Honneman ، مؤسسة البناء ، 31.50 دولارًا و R. P. Furrow ، سجين الصعود ، 18.75 دولارًا.

11 أغسطس 1870 - تم دفع الفواتير لجيمس برونو ، الخشب ، 21.68 دولارًا لصمويل فونك ، باب السجن ، 5 دولارات جيه دبليو ويليامز ، بناء السجن ، 275 دولارًا أمريكيًا و إتش لانهام ، رسوم العدالة ، 24 دولارًا.

25 نوفمبر 1870 - ر. تم تسمية P. Furrow مفوض الشارع. تضمن دفع الفواتير AM Sisson ، التعامل المصرفي من الأوساخ حول الموازين ، 10 دولارات AC Meacham ، خشب للموازين ، 11.81 دولارًا أمريكيًا JP Cone ، طباعة الإشعارات ، 7.50 دولارًا لـ Paul Courier ، طباعة المراسيم ، 7 دولارات JW Williams ، مما يجعل تسجيل المراسيم للمدينة ، 20 دولارًا و AH Burnett & amp Co. ، خشب للموازين ، 1.50 دولار.

28 نوفمبر 1870 - ر. كان يتعين على إي نيلسون الدفع على المذكرة لمقياس المدينة. تم عقد هذه المذكرة بواسطة شركة Forsyit و Haston & amp.

30 نوفمبر 1870 - تم إلغاء عمل محامي المدينة جوزيف شارب.

دعونا نغير وجهة نظرنا إلى المعاملات التجارية لسكان المدينة. في أغسطس من عام 1870 ، تم بيع آخر قطع أراضي المدينة المملوكة للمقاطعة بالصافي لصندوق دار المحكمة بمبلغ 17473.83 دولارًا. في الجانب الشمالي من الشارع الرئيسي ، كان المبنى الهيكلي لشركة "Root & amp Fuller" يقف بجوار مطبعة الصحيفة التي أنشأها في عام 1863 ج. ب. كون (انظر الصفحة 4). أقرض M. L. Root of Centralia مبلغ 400 دولار لابنه وجون فولر الأب لبدء عملهما في عام 1870. أيضًا على الجانب الشمالي من الشارع الرئيسي كان من المفترض أن يكون مبنى بنكًا من الطوب أنشأه صموئيل لابين وتشارلز جي سكرافورد.

بحلول عام 1870 ، نمت بلدة ريتشموند ، بما في ذلك بلدة سينيكا ، إلى أكثر من ألفي (2000) ساكن. كان هذا أكثر من 200 ٪ زيادة في عدد السكان في عقد من الزمان. بدا هذا هائلاً حتى يتذكر المرء أكثر من 650 رجلاً بالإضافة إلى العديد من ربات البيوت والأطفال ربما لم يجعلوا هذه المنطقة مكان إقامتهم الدائم. كان هؤلاء الـ 650 رجلاً يعملون على بناء خط سكة حديد عبر المقاطعة. لقد حدث للتو أنهم كانوا في بلدة ريتشموند وسينيكا عندما تم إجراء تعداد عام 1870 في الولايات المتحدة. لم يتم التأكد من إحصاء دقيق لعدد الأشخاص المقيمين بالفعل في سينيكا ، ولكن ربما كان عدد سكان سينيكا يتراوح بين 800 و 1000 نسمة.

ما هو شكل مدينة سينيكا؟ جاء سكان هذه البلدة من العديد من الأماكن الأصلية بما في ذلك العديد من الدول الأجنبية. أدرج سكان منطقة سينيكا أماكن ميلادهم في الولايات المتحدة مثل كونيتيكت ونيويورك وإنديانا وميسوري وإلينوي وفيرجينيا وويسكونسن وبنسلفانيا وأوهايو وويست فيرجينيا وماين وماساتشوستس وكنتاكي ونيو هامبشاير وأيوا وفيرمونت ومينيسوتا وتينيسي ، ماريلاند وديلاوير ونبراسكا وكانساس. ومن بين الدول الأجنبية العديدة أيرلندا والنمسا وكندا وإنجلترا وسويسرا وفرنسا وهولندا وويلز والسويد والنرويج ولوكسمبورغ وألمانيا. لم يتم العثور على ألمانيا فعليًا في السجلات ، ولكن تم تدوين بروسيا وبافاريا وبوهيميا وورتنبرغ وساكسونيا وهانوفر في كتاب سجل التعداد. وغني عن القول ، أن سينيكا بحلول عام 1870 كان لديها مزيج متنوع من خلفيات سكانها.

ما الذي جلب هؤلاء الناس إلى سينيكا؟ هل كان المال؟ بالتأكيد ، كان يمكن اعتبار بعض الناس أغنياء وفقًا لمعايير عام 1870 ، وبعضهم بلا شك يعتبرون فقراء. عشرة أرباب الأسر التي لديها أعلى ثروة مشتركة من العقارات والممتلكات الشخصية هم: سي جي سكرافورد ، مزارع ، 75.500 دولار صموئيل لابين ، مزارع ، 57 ألف دولار ريتشارد بلوس ، مزارع ، 20 ألف دولار روبن كون ، تاجر متقاعد ، 17000 دولار جون هـ. بيكهام ، تاجر ، 17000 دولار ، أبراهام كيجين ، شريف مقاطعة نيماها ، 15.350 دولارًا ، مارغريت هندرسون ، تدبير منزل ، 15،150 دولارًا أمريكيًا. سارجنت ، محام ، 15000 دولار ، فينلي لابين ، مزارع ، 13000 دولار ، وجي سي هيبارد ، أمين صندوق المقاطعة ، 12000 دولار. ثلاثة من هؤلاء ، لابين وسكرافورد ، كانوا ثلاثة من أربعة آباء مؤسسين لسينيكا.

مع زيادة عدد السكان ، من السهل التكهن بأن الأطفال يولدون. ومع ذلك ، لم يكن كل الناس من الشباب. أكبرهم كان ويليام سميث ، 75 عامًا ، من هانوفر بألمانيا ، وكان لا يزال يعمل في مصنع الطوب. من بين الآخرين الذين لديهم خبرات متراكمة مارجريت هاولي ، 74 ديفيد أليسون ، 73 جوليا كوهين ، 70 كلوي رامي ، 70 ماريا بيريز ، 70 ماري ليذربيري ، 68 فينلي لابين ، 67 ، ونانسي سكرافورد ، 67.

سوف تكون المعلومة الأكثر إثارة للاهتمام التي يتم جمعها من التعداد مختلفة من شخص لآخر. ومع ذلك ، من وجهة النظر هذه ، كانت ابنة توماس وإيزابيلا بينيت البالغة من العمر عامًا واحدًا هي الاختيار في عام 1870. وهاجر آل بينيت من كندا. لبعض الأسباب غير المكتشفة ، أطلقوا على ابنتهم اسم سينيكا. الآن يتبادر إلى الذهن سؤال ، ماذا حدث لسينيكا بينيت؟

كان الأشخاص المعروف أنهم وصلوا إلى سينيكا في عام 1870 هم أ.ل.إل.سكوفيل ، الذي قبل منصبًا لدى جيه إتش بيكهام وسي سي كي سكوفيل ، أحد رؤساء البلديات في سينيكا.

ماذا كان بإمكان هؤلاء الناس أن يفعلوا؟ يمكن أن يكون الأطفال في سن المدرسة في أحد أقسام الصف الثالث. في سبتمبر 1870 ، كان بالمدرسة العامة قسم للمدارس الابتدائية والمتوسطة والثانوية. هذا الشهر نفسه ، أقامت الجمعية الزراعية في مقاطعة نيماها معرضها السنوي الثالث ، على ما يبدو حدثًا مشابهًا لمعرض المقاطعة ، في سينيكا.

دعونا نوجه انتباهنا إلى الكنائس والطوائف التي تمارس معتقداتها في سينيكا. كان هناك عالميون ، ميثوديون ، معمدانيون ، تجمعيون ، كاثوليك ، وعلى الأرجح البعض الآخر. كانت العديد من الطوائف البروتستانتية تستخدم الكنيسة الحجرية لأغراض دينية. تم بناء صرح الكنيسة الحجرية في عام 1867. بالاتفاق ، كانت الطائفة التي ساهمت بأكبر قدر من الحرية هي أن تصبح أصحاب المبنى. على ما يبدو ، يجب أن يكون الكوني قد دعم الكنيسة بأكبر قدر من الدعم المالي. تم تخصيص هذا المبنى الحجري الذي لا يزال قائمًا رسميًا ككنيسة عالمية مع القس بي إف رودجرز في أغسطس من عام 1870.

ربما يرجع جزء من سبب تحول هذا المبنى إلى الكنيسة العالمية إلى أن أعضاء الكنيسة التوحيدية قرروا بناء دار للعبادة في 20 يونيو 1870. وقاموا بتسمية لجنة بناء مكونة من روبن كون ، وسي تي ويتنهول ، وإتش بي درايدن ، وجيه إل فولر ، و أو سي ديكنسون. بحلول يوم عيد الميلاد ، تم تكريس صرح إطار قيمته 4000 دولار بقياس 32 قدمًا في 50 قدمًا في سينيكا.

بدأت السنة في يناير 1870 مع الأب بيرمين كوملي ، أو.س.ب. إجراء خدمة كاثوليكية شهرية في يوم الأحد الثاني من كل شهر. . كان مواطنًا فرنسيًا يبلغ من العمر 27 عامًا. وقد لوحظت الحاجة إلى منزل أبرشية في مايو. بحلول شهر يونيو ، تم تخطيط وبناء منزل أبرشية من طابق واحد بمساحة 16 × 26 قدمًا. شهد شهر يوليو انتقال الأب بيرمين إلى مكان الإقامة وأصبح أول قس مقيم في القديسين. أبرشية بطرس وبولس. بحلول سبتمبر 1870 ، قام الكاثوليك بمساعدة بعض البروتستانت في المدينة بشراء المدرسة العامة القديمة. وهكذا ، تم تشكيل مدرسة القديس بطرس وبولس الأبرشية مع دانيال هون المعلم الأول. كان السيد هون من بروسيا. بلغ متوسط ​​الحضور في المدرسة خمسة وعشرون طالبًا في الفصل الدراسي الأول.

ظل الأب بيرمين مشغولاً في عام 1870 بإجراء الزيجات والتعميد. تم تسجيل ثلاث زيجات في سجل الرعية. هؤلاء هم فرانسيس بلوكير وماري روهينكول وجون إيكل وجوزفين هنشل وبرنارد ليندمان وأجنيس لينسينج. أفيد في عام 1938 أن خمسة وثلاثين معمودية قد حدثت في عام 1870. منذ تسجيل سجلات أبرشية سانت ماري في سانت بنديكت ، كانساس ، في سينيكا خلال هذه الفترة الزمنية ، كان من الضروري إجراء بعض تصفية التعميد. ما يلي هو تخمين مثقف حول المعمودية التي أجريت في أبرشية القديس بطرس وبولس. كانت المعمودية:


مع تاريخ فخور وغني ، كانت سينيكا أكبر ست دول أمريكية أصلية والتي كانت تتألف من اتحاد الإيروكوا أو الدول الست ، وهي حكومة ديمقراطية تسبق دستور الولايات المتحدة.

يبلغ إجمالي عدد السكان المسجلين في أمة سينيكا للهنود ما يقرب من 8000 مواطن. المناطق بشكل عام ريفية ، مع العديد من المناطق السكنية. يعيش العديد من مواطني سينيكا خارج الإقليم ، ويقع بعضهم في جميع أنحاء البلاد ، وكذلك في بلدان أخرى. يشكل المقيمون خارج الإقليم ما يقرب من نصف الجنسية.

يُعرف سينيكا أيضًا باسم "حارس الباب الغربي" ، لأن سينيكا هي أقصى الغرب من الدول الست. في وقت تشكيل رابطة الإيروكوا ، احتلت الدول الخمس الأصلية من رابطة الإيروكوا مساحات كبيرة من الأرض في شمال شرق الولايات المتحدة وجنوب شرق كندا.

في لغة سينيكا ، نُعرف باسم O-non-dowa-gah ، (تُنطق: Oh-n'own-dough-wahgah) أو "Great Hill People".

احتلت سينيكا التاريخية الأراضي في جميع أنحاء منطقة Finger Lakes في وسط نيويورك ، وفي وادي Genesee في غرب نيويورك ، حيث تعيش في منازل طويلة على ضفاف النهر. كانت القرى محصنة جيدًا بأسوار خشبية ، وهي مجرد واحدة من العديد من المشاريع الكادحة.

اعتمد الناس بشكل كبير على الزراعة من أجل الغذاء ، وزرعوا الأخوات الثلاث: الذرة والفاصوليا والكوسا ، والتي كانت تُعرف باسم Deohako ، (وضوحا: Johayko) "أنصار الحياة". بالإضافة إلى تربية المحاصيل ، كان سينيكا الأوائل أيضًا صيادين وصيادين للكفاف.

كان السينيكاس أيضًا من ذوي المهارات العالية في الحرب ، وكانوا يعتبرون أعداء شرسين. لكن سينيكا اشتهروا أيضًا بمهاراتهم المتطورة في الدبلوماسية والخطابة واستعدادهم للاتحاد مع الدول الخمس الأصلية الأخرى لتشكيل كونفدرالية إيروكوا للأمم.

تدعم أمة سينيكا اليوم شعبها وتفيد المجتمعات المحيطة بمجموعة متنوعة من الجهود الثقافية والتعليمية والاقتصادية. تشمل مؤسساتها المتنوعة: ألعاب الكازينو ذات المستوى العالمي ، والضيافة والترفيه ، والتي توظف أكثر من 3500 شخص ، بالإضافة إلى سلسلة متاجر صغيرة (4 متاجر) ، وإدارة الإنشاءات ، ومقتنيات متنوعة في المشاريع التجارية.

تظل ثقافة وقيم سينيكا قوية وسليمة. تعد اللغة والأغنية والفن والرقص والرياضة كلها جوانب حيوية لثقافة سينيكا. على الرغم من أن عدد المتحدثين بطلاقة في سينيكا يتناقص وتعتبر اللغة معرضة للخطر ، إلا أن هناك برامج لغوية في سينيكا نيشن للمساعدة في حماية جيل جديد من المتحدثين بلغة سينيكا والحفاظ عليها وتطويرها للحفاظ على لغة سينيكا حية.

لاكروس هي رياضة يمارسها الذكور والإناث ، الصغار والكبار. يتيح مجمعان رياضيان مجتمعيان جديدان في كل منطقة إقامة بطولات لاكروس على مدار العام ومساحة للبرامج المجتمعية والحرف اليدوية والتعلم.

تدعم مدرسة Faithkeepers وتضمن الممارسة المستمرة للتعاليم التقليدية والفنون والمعرفة والثقافة الحية لطرق Longhouse.

تتجلى حيوية تراث سينيكا الغني في الاحتفالات والممارسات والأحداث الثقافية المستمرة التي تتخللها الرقص والموسيقى والأغنية والفنون والحرف والأطعمة التقليدية التي تكرم ثقافة سينيكا وتحتفي بها.


تاريخ موارد سينيكا

إذا كنت بحاجة إلى الإبلاغ عن حالة طوارئ ، فيمكنك الاتصال بـ Seneca Resources 24 ساعة في اليوم ، 7 أيام في الأسبوع على 1-800-526-2608 في ولاية بنسلفانيا و 1-888-595-8595 في كاليفورنيا.

مع أكثر من 100 عام كشركة استكشاف وإنتاج ، تمتلك شركة Seneca Resources تاريخًا غنيًا في التنقيب عن الغاز الطبيعي وإنتاجه. بالإضافة إلى ذلك ، تعود جذور شركة Seneca وشركتها الأم ، National Fuel Gas Company ، إلى ما يقرب من قرنين من الزمان لتكوين صناعة الغاز الطبيعي.

بمراقبة الغاز الطبيعي المتسرب من Canadaway Creek في فريدونيا ، نيويورك ، قام صانع السلاح ويليام هارت بحفر حفرة طولها 17 قدمًا في الصخر الصخري الضحل في عام 1821 ، وفي النهاية قدم خدمة الغاز إلى المتاجر والمباني المحلية للإضاءة والطهي. يعتبر هذا أول استخدام تجاري للغاز الطبيعي في الولايات المتحدة.

ومع ذلك ، فإن صناعة الغاز الطبيعي لم تنتشر إلا بعد أن كان رواد الأعمال يبحثون عن منتج جديد و mdashoil و mdasht يمكن استخدامه للإضاءة ولأغراض أخرى. في تيتوسفيل ، بنسلفانيا ، أنتجت جهود الحفر Edwin L. المنتج الغامض ، John D. Rockefeller & rsquos Standard Oil ، حوّل اهتمامه إلى الغاز الطبيعي وبحلول ثمانينيات القرن التاسع عشر ، أنشأت شركة Standard وغيرها من المصالح العديد من شركات الغاز الطبيعي المحلية في المنطقة.

تأسست الشركة الوطنية لغاز الوقود في 8 كانون الأول (ديسمبر) واستحوذت على حصص في شركة بنسلفانيا للغاز وشركة الغاز الطبيعي المتحدة وأصول أخرى في وست فرجينيا وأوهايو ونيويورك.

ستؤدي إحدى شركات التنقيب عن الغاز الطبيعي العديدة العاملة في غرب ولاية بنسلفانيا في النهاية إلى إنشاء شركة سينيكا. تم تنظيم شركة مارس للغاز الطبيعي في 9 يونيو 1913 من قبل العديد من الأطراف غير المنتسبة في منطقة مارس بولاية بنسلفانيا ، وأنتجت الغاز الطبيعي وبيعته. تم دمج شركة مارس للغاز الطبيعي في وقت لاحق في مجموعة شركات شركة غاز الوقود الوطنية. غيرت اسمها إلى شركة مارس في عام 1918 ، ثم قامت بشراء وتطوير العديد من الغاز الطبيعي الصغير وخصائص إنتاج النفط ، كما قامت بتشغيل مصانع لاستخراج البنزين الطبيعي والغازات البترولية السائلة. في العقد التالي ، توسعت شركة مارس من خلال الاستحواذ على ممتلكات وأصول لشركات الغاز الطبيعي المحلية المختلفة في غرب ولاية بنسلفانيا.

Another National Fuel firm that would eventually contribute to the composition of Seneca Resources was the Sylvania Corporation, formed in 1928. Sylvania was engaged as a non-utility that produced and sold natural gas. Sylvania was involved in the discovery of many important natural gas pools in the Oriskany sandstone formation in north-central Pennsylvania during the 1930s&ndash1950s.

As the thirst for natural gas escalated, National Fuel&rsquos exploration efforts constantly sought to fulfill the demand with significant gas discoveries, such as Sylvania&rsquos wildcat well in Cameron County, Pa., striking the Driftwood-Benezette field in Oriskany sands. Despite many gas finds, Appalachian supplies could not meet the skyrocketing, post-war demand for natural gas, so attention turned to the Southwest and Gulf of Mexico region that would become the major producing area for U.S. supplies for the next half-century.

Hydraulic fracturing

Hydraulic fracturing of oil and gas wells to improve well production was first used in the 1940s and soon became a common practice. Fracturing or fracking forces water, sand grains and a small amount of chemicals into the well. Most oil and gas wells in the U.S. are fracked with a variety of techniques and materials depending on the geology to improve production of new and storage wells.

1974–1976

In 1974, National Fuel Gas Company realigned United Natural Gas Company, Pennsylvania Gas Company and Iroquois Gas Corporation into National Fuel Gas Distribution Corporation and the National Fuel Gas Supply Corporation&mdashthe pipeline, storage and transmission segment. In 1976, the company opened a Houston office to help coordinate Southwest gas purchases. This would pave the way for National Fuel to start a Southwest gas exploration program.

National Fuel changed the name of The Mars Company to Seneca Resources Corporation and gave it the mission of exploring for natural gas supplies outside of the traditional service area. The subsidiary&rsquos Houston Division explored for oil and gas in the Southwest and eventually conducted business in 12 U.S. states and Alberta, Canada. Seneca Resources acquired significant gas and oil reserves in Texas and along Gulf Coast shallow waters. The company expanded west in 1987, when it obtained substantial reserves of light crude oil and some natural gas from Argo Petroleum in Ventura County, Calif., establishing a divisional office in Santa Paula.

National Fuel formed a new subsidiary, Empire Exploration, Inc., to coordinate drilling in the Appalachian region. Because of the involvement in Appalachian drilling since nearly the inception of the industry, National Fuel controlled oil and gas rights on more than 775,000 undeveloped acres of oil and gas property, much of that acreage as the total landowner. After deregulation of natural gas production increased gas supply and reduced wellhead prices, drilling in the Appalachian basin became severely depressed. However, decades of ownership of oil and gas rights in this region would turn out to be a &ldquodiamond in the rough&rdquo a quarter century later when attention would return to Appalachia and the Marcellus Shale.

التسعينيات

Despite low prices for natural gas and oil, soon the assets in Texas and the Gulf Coast waters would pay off and become National Fuel Gas Company&rsquos most significant opportunity for growth. Beginning in 1991, Seneca Resources changed its focus from building long-lived reserves through acquisitions to accelerating cash flow. New discoveries and record production was achieved, largely due to modern seismic data and analysis, including the use of 3-D seismic technology.

National Fuel&rsquos Appalachian drilling unit, Empire Exploration, merged into Seneca Resources and over the next decade, Seneca Resources would develop three main divisions: East, covering the Appalachian natural gas exploration and production Southwest, including gas and oil drilling efforts in Texas, Louisiana, Alabama and the Gulf of Mexico and West, primarily oil production in California.

Seneca Resources expanded by acquiring all outstanding shares of Tri-Link Resources, Ltd., of Calgary, Alberta. National Fuel Exploration Corporation, a wholly owned subsidiary of Seneca Resources, was formed to explore and develop oil and gas wells in Canada and acquired Player Petroleum Corporation of Alberta. Seneca Resources also reached a five-year agreement with Talisman Energy, Inc. of Calgary, the largest independent oil and gas producer in Canada, to explore for deep oil and gas in the Appalachian basin.

2006–2007

Scaling back exploration in the Gulf of Mexico, Seneca Resources sold interests in oil and gas production in western Canada, but accelerated onshore drilling efforts in Texas, increased oil production in California and stepped up exploration in the Appalachian region.

In 2006-07, Seneca Resources partnered with EOG Resources and drilled its first vertical and horizontal wells in the promising Marcellus Shale formations. The total Marcellus acreage position was expanded to more than 775,000 acres, which lead to an ambitious company-operated Marcellus and Utica Shale exploration program using modern hydraulic fracturing techniques, including environmentally friendly ground-breaking methods of recycling and other best practices to protect drilling lands and groundwater.

Highland Field Services, LLC (HFS), a subsidiary of Seneca Resources, was established to address the water management needs for Seneca and other oil and gas companies in the Appalachian basin. HFS operates two facilities in northwest Pennsylvania near the heart of the Western Development Area for Seneca.

National Fuel completes acquisition of Shell&rsquos integrated upstream and midstream assets in Pennsylvania, the largest acquisition in our company&rsquos 118-year history.


Seneca - History

History of Seneca, New York
FROM: HISTORY OF ONTARIO COUNTY
NEW YORK
EDITD BY: GEORGE S. CONOVER
COMPILED BY LEWIS CASS ALDRIDGE
PUBLISHED BY D. MASON & CO., PUBLISHERS
SARACUSE, N. Y., 1893

CHAPTER XXIV.
HISTORY OF THE TOWN OF SENECA.

IN 1789 the Legislature passed an act creating Ontario county, and authorized the Court of Sessions to divide its territory into districts. This was done, and although we have no record of the event, it is well kpown that the district of Seneca included a large area of territory much larger than did the original town of Seneca, organized in 1793. The town organized in 1793 included township No. 9 and the south half of township No. 10, and also so much of the " gore" as was east of the same and between the old and new pre-emption lines.

Within the bounds of the original town of Seneca there took place many of the most interesting events of early history in Western New York, for within these limits was the home village and favorite hunting and fishing grounds of one branch of the famed Senecas of the Iroquois. Old "Kanadesaga," their village, was within the town, and here dwelt their famous king. Also within the same limits was the historic burial mound of the Senecas, and around all these there still clings a wealth of memories dear to the student of archeology. Previous to their settlement at this place, the Senecas had been located at the White Springs and at Burrell or Slate Rock Creek, both of which are in the limits of the old town of Seneca. In June, 1750, when Bishop Cammerhoff and Rev. David Zeisberger, the Moravian missionaries, were on a journey to the western town of the Senecas, they passed through this region and along the site of the White Springs, where they were informed a former village of the Senecas had been, and which they called "Ganechstage," and on which there was at this time but few huts This settlement had been broken up in 1732 by a plague of the small pox, with which an Indian had become infected at Albany. Taking a wrong path, the missionaries went southwesterly, passing "through a beautiful, fruitful valley," and came to the site of" New Ganechstage." On their return they again came this way, and at "New Ganechsatage" they were hospitably entertained by "Gajinquechto" and his wife. This is but a dialectical variation of" Sayenqueraghta," and is the same person who in later years was the "smoke bearer" at Kanadesaga. The "sachern's" wife pointed out the way to them and they journeyed on, passing old "Ganechsatage," reaching a spring. The location of New Ganechstage was in the present town of Seneca, on the farm of J. Wilson and Newton A. Read, lot 32. Other village sites were on the Rippey farm, lot 36 farm of W. P. Rupert, lot 36 Haslett farm lot 37. It was from here that they were gathered and formed the "new settlement village," as has been stated in another chapter.

However, in 1872 Seneca was deprived of the greater and more interesting part of its history, for in the year named the town of Geneva was created and included within its boundaries nearly all the old interesting localities formerly of Seneca. The town so set off comprised all that part of the old town which was in the gore, and also the eastern tier of lots in townships 9 and ro. Therefore, the subject of Ihis chapter must be the town of Seneca as constituted after the separate organization of Geneva as an independent civil division of Ontario county and as all that remains to be told in this connection relates to its early settlement and organization, we may properly begin with the advent of the pioneers into the region, referring only incidentally to the settlements at Kanadesaga and Geneva. As the places last mentioned were for several years previous to the erection of this county the center of operations in the entire western country, settlement naturally began there, but after the survey of the Phelps and Gorham purchase, pioneers at once sought to purchase the towns, or portions of them, and settlement thus followed in due time.

Township number 10 of range i, of which a part is included within Seneca, was purchased by a party of twenty New Englanders, and under this proprietorship the settlement of the town was begun. One of the purchasers was Captain Joshua Whitney, who first examined and explored the lands of the purchase in 1789, and became a permanent settler therein in 1790. He was a man of influence, large means, and much experience had been a soldier during the Revolution, and had gained his title in that service. He had at first 1,052 acres in the town, which amount he doubled later on. We may also state that the Whitney family was represented by other early settlers in the town, all of whom constituted a fair contingent of the number entitled to be called pioneers.

Among the other early settlers and pioneers of Seneca, whose names as heads of families or single men seeking homes in the new country are equally worthy of mention, were Anson Dodge, Abraham Burkholder, Peter Van Gelder, Zora Densmore, John Berry, George Ackley or Eckley, Ammi Whitney, Robert Carson, Leonard Isenhour (built grist and saw mills as early as 1800), Peter Wyn coop, William Esty, Thomas Taliman and others, the date of whose settlement was prior to 1800, and that of many of them before 1795. There were also the families named Clemons, Parker, Harris, Fiero, Charlton, Childs, Torrence, Rogers, McPherson, Culver, Latta, Darrow, and the McCauleys, Hallidays, Duttons, Onderdonks, the Ringers (John and Jacob) and others now forgotten, whose names are equally worthy of mention as early settlers in this rich agricultural region.

In the same manner we may also recall the names of other pioneers, among whom were Thomas Ottley, Nathan Whitney, Eben Burt, Isaac Amsden, Peter Gray, Matthew Rippey, David McMaster, Abram Post, Israel Webster, Simeon Amsden, Joel Whitney, Hugh Fulton and Gameliel Brockway, all of whom with others named and yet to be named, were located in the town of Seneca as early as the year 1800. There were also William Rippey, Joseph Fulton, Edward Rice, Philip Gregory, John Dixon, Seba Squier, Jacob Reed, Thomas Densmore, Solomon Gates, Colonel Wilder, David Barron, all pioneers, nearly all of whom had families, and all of whom contributed to the prominent position Seneca early occupied among the towns of the county.

The Stanley family, of whom Seth Stanley was the pioneer head, settled in the town in 1796, and the locality afterwards became known as Stanley's Corners, while the still later station and railroad junction are known as "Stanley's." On the old Geneva and Rushville turnpike at an early day settled pioneers Peter Diedrich, George Simpson, Will jam Fiero and George Rippey and elsewhere in the town were Salma Stanley, Thomas McCauley, Matthew Rippey, Peter Blackmore, Mr. Harford, John McCullough, Captain Wm. McPherson, Whitney Squier, Jonathan Reed, the Phillips family, Squire Parks, James Rice, James Means, Leonard and William Smith, Chauncey Barden, Alfred Squier, Aaron Black, the Careys, John Wood, John Rippey, Robert Parks, Timothy Miner, James Black, Aden Squier, Edward Burrall, Samuel Wheadon and others, the dates and precise location of whose settlement cannot now be accurately determined.

In this connection also we may name among the early settlers John Hooper, Foster Sinclair, the Dorman family, Adam Turnbull, Richard Bell, Wm. Foster, William Brown, John Scoon, Aaron Black, Mr. Stockoe, Jonathan Phillips, George Conrad, Thomas Vartie, Edward Hall (the pioneer for whom Hall's Corners was named), Sherman Lee, Wm. Wilson, the Cooleys, the Robinsons and Robsons, James Beattie, George Crozier, the Straughtons and the Wilsons, Rufus Smith, Robert Moody, Valentine Perkins, David Miller, Mr. Clark, the prominent Barden family, Daniel Sutherland, Sylvester Smith, Levi Gland, John Thompson and others.

From the large number of names of early settlers above mentioned it will be seen that the settlement of this town must have been very rapid, and when we consider that none of those named were from the part of the town recently set off to Geneva, the conclusion must be natural and correct that Seneca was settled and improved as early as any district or town in the county. In i8oo the population of the whole county was only 15,218, yet the assertion is made that of the number the then town of Seneca had at least 2,000. In fact, until Geneva was set off, Seneca was by far the largest town in the county. In i8io the population was 3,431 in 1830 it was 6,161 in 1840 if was 7,073 in 1850 it was 8,505 in 1860 it was 8,448 in 1870 it was 9,188 and in 1880, by reason of the erection of Geneva, the local population was only 2,877 in 1890 it was 2,690.

In 1793 the population of the town was deemed sufficiently great to warrant its complete organization by the election of officers, consequently a town meeting was held at "the house of Joshua Fairbanks, Innkeeper," on the first Tuesday in April, 1793. At this time the first town officers were elected, as follows: Supervisor, Ezra Patterson town clerk, Thomas Sisson assessors, Oliver Whitmore, James Rice, Phineas Pierce commissioners of highways, Patrick Burnet, Samuel Wheadon, Peter Bartle, jr. collector, Sanford Williams overseers of the poor, Jonathan Oaks, David Smith constables, Charles Harris, Stephen Sisson, Whelds Whitmore overseers of highways, Nathan Whitney, Oliver Humphrey, Jerome Loomis, Jeremiah Butler, Benj. Tuttle, Wm. Smith, jr., David Benton, Benjamin Dixon fence viewers, Amos Jenks, John Reed, Joseph Kilbourn, Seba Squiers, Caleb Culver poundmasters, Peter Bartle, jr., David Smith sealer of weights and measures, Peter Bartle, sr. surveyor of lumber, Jeremiah Butler.

Among the first proceedings of the town authorities were those relating to the laying out of highways, among them, and one of the very first, being one of historical importance, inasmuch as it was evidently laid out on the old Indian trail which led southeast from the foot of Seneca street, and afterwards in a westerly direction until it reached the west line of the town. The western part of this was where the turnpike from the old pre emption road was laid out later on.

The officers elected in 1793 and mentioned above were chosen, the reader will of course understand, from the town of Seneca, as at that time constituted, therefore including all that is now the town of Geneva. The center of population at that time, and for many years afterward, was at Geneva, and here all trade and barter was carried on therefore it was usual that the town meetings should be held at the village, the first at Joshua Fairbanks' "Inn " the second at "the house of Elark Jennings, Inn Keeper," the third at the house of Ezra Patterson the fourth at Benjamin Tuttle's house the fifth at the house of Epenetus Hart, adjoining Powell's Hotel the sixth and seventh at Powell's Hotel, and so on to the end of the list. In this connection it is interesting to note the succession of supervisors of the old town of Seneca from its organization to the present time, which succession is as follows,

Ezra Patterson. 1793 Ambrose Hull, 1794-95 Timothy Allen, 1796 Ezra Patterson, 1797-98 Samuel Colt, 1799 Ezra Patterson, 1800-1801 Samuel Wheadon, jr., 1802 Ezra Patterson, 1803-04 Septimus Evans, 1805-14 John M. Cullough, 1815 Septimus Evans, 1816-17 Nathan Reed, 1818-28. The records of town officers between the years 1828 and 1838 cannot be found. Abraham A. Post, 1838-42 Philo Bronson, 1843 Abraham A. Post, 1844-47 John L. Dox, 1848-49 Chas. S. Brother, 1850-51 Lucius Warner, 1852-54 James M. Soverhill, 1855-56 John Whitwell, 1857-58 Perez H. Field, 1859-60 Joseph Hutchinson, 1861-62 George W. Nicholas, 1863-68 Samuel Southworth, 1869-70 John Post, 1871-72 Seth Stanley, 1873 Edward S. Dixon, 1874 Seth Stanley, 1875 Robert Moody, 1876-81 Levi A. Page, 1882-89 H. Joel Rice, 1890-93.

Present Town Officers- H. Joel Rice, supervisor Mathew D. Lawrence, town clerk Harmon W. Onderdonk, Orson S. Robinson, W. H. Whitney, assessors E. S. Dixon, Eben E. Thatcher, Wm. H. Barden, W. D. Robinson, justices of the peace Albert M. Knapp, John B. Esty, Hamilton Rippey, excise commissioners John H. Carr, Frank L. Parshail, C. E. Onderdonk, commissioners of highways overseer of the poor, James Woods.

Returing again briefly to the period of old times, we find the pioneers of Seneca engaged in the laudable enterprise of raising a fund for the purpose of building a bridge across Flint Creek at Castleton, to form a part of the main thoroughfare from the town to the county seat. The subscribers to this fund, with the amount of their respective subscriptions, in pounds, were as follows: Sanford Williams, 8 Oliver Whitmore, 3 Nathan Whitney, 6 Solomon Gates, 3 Hugh Maxwell, 2 Samuel Warner, 3 Warner Crittenden, 3 Ebenezer Bunt, 3 Solomon Warner, 3 Joel Whitney, 3 Oliver Whitmore, sen., i Luke Whitmore, 1 Elijah Wilder, 3

Villages and Hamlets.- In this department of this work it is not proposed to make any extended reference to the Indian occupation of any of the towns of the county, nevertheless, in this connection it is not inappropriate to allude to the old Seneca villages which formerly existed in this town, in the north part thereof, one of them on lot 56, and the other on lot 58 but where they were first located and inhabited by the Senecas, and the precise date of their disappearance we know not of.

The present villages and hamlets of Seneca are five in number, four of them being on the line of the commonly called Northern Central railroad, while the fifth is in the eastern part of the town, and is accessible only by team or foot travel.

Seneca Castle, the largest of the villages, and sometimes known as Castleton, is situated in the northwest part of the town, on Flint Creek, also on the railroad extending from Stanley to Sodus Bay. The original name of the village was Castleton, and the application of the name Seneca Castle was an afterthought. As a trading center this place has some prominence, but during the last half century it can hardly be said to have increased or lessened in business interests or population. The village has two church societies, each of which has a substantial church home. Of these we may make a brief record.

The Presbyterian Church of Seneca Castle was a branch or off-shoot of the mother church at Geneva, the latter having been organized in 1798, and in connection therewith occasional services were conducted in this western part of the town, altthough it was not until 1828 that the Seneca Castle was fully organized. The early services here were held chiefly by Revs. Jedediah Chapman and Henry Axtell, the former the first, and the latter the second pastor of the church at Geneva. The Castleton (such was the name then) Church was organized February 5, 1828, with nineteen original members "inhabitants of the village of Castleton and its vicinity." On the 4th of March the trustees were chosen, and steps were at once taken to raise means with which to erect a church home. This was quickly accomplished and the house was dedicated during the latter part of July, 1829.

The pastors, in succession, of this church have been as follows: Stephen Porter, Oren Catlin, Stephen Porter (second pastorate), George C. Hyde, R. Russell (supply), B. B. Gray, Alex. Douglass (supply), A. H. Parmelee, H. H. Kellogg, James S. Moore, and Howard Cornell, the latter being the present pastor, whose service as such began in June, 1893. The church has about eighty members, and a Sunday school with about ninety pupils.

The Castleton Methodist Episcopal Chapel was the outgrowth of a series of revival meetings held by the Presbyterians of this locality during the years 1830-31. The M. E. Class and church was organized soon after this time, and in 1842 the society erected a substantial brick edifice in the village. Its membership is about eighty, and the Sundayschool has about one hundred members. The present pastor is Rev. S. F. Beardslee.

Flint Creek is a small hamlet of about twenty dwelling-houses, one store, a post-office, a combined cider mill and wood-working factory, the school of district No. 2, and a M. E. Church. The village is on the stream from which it is named, and is about midway between Seneca Castle and Stanley. A grist and saw-mill were in operation many years a few rods south of the village proper.

The M. E. Church at Flint Creek, one of three societies of this denomination in this town, is of comparatively recent origin, and is supplied in its pastoral relation from Hopewell. The present pastor in charge is Rev. Cordello Herrick.

Stanley, formerly Stanley's Corners, is second in size and greatest in business importance among the hamlets of Seneca. The village is situated near the center of School District No. 1. Here also the Northern Central railroad divides, one branch leading to the county seat and the other to Sodus Bay. During the year 1892 the long hoped for Middlesex Valley road was completed and put in operation between Stanley and Naples and during 1893 the work of construction on the same road between Stanley and Geneva is expected to be prosecuted.

Although of considerable importance among the hamlets of Seneca, Stanley is only a small place, having two good stores (Hill & Coon, and James A. Pulver), a hotel, a grain elevator, a good district school, and two churches.

St. Theresa's Roman Catholic parish was organized in 1875, and the church edifice was built in 1876. This parish is a joint station with Rushville, and includes about ninety, families. The priests in charge have been Fathers James A. Connelly, Joseph Hendrick, Joseph J. Magin, D. W. Kavanaugh, J. H. Butler, James F. Dougherty, and John P. Hopkins.

The Methodist Episcopal Church and society of Stanley are also of quite recent organization. The church and class work began many years ago, and the organization duly followed. There are now about thirty-five members, and preparations are being made for the erection of a substantial church home in the village. The services are now conducted by Rev. 0. D. Davis, as supply, he being pastor of the church at Gorham village.

Hall's Corners is a small though busy hamlet in the south part of the town, .and being in the center of a large fruit and grain region, becomes a place of much importance during the harvest and shipping season. The village proper is about forty rods from the station. The merchants are William C. Mead (also postmaster) and George 0. Rippey & Son.

Seneca.- About a mile and one-half northeast of Hail's Corners is a little settlement and post office called Seneca. It has no industries of any importance, except the nursery of W. P. Rupert, yet around the old Presbyterian church at Seneca has been built up a quiet little settlement.

This church was organized June 29, 1807, by a devoted little band of Christians, by whom it was resolved "That we form ourselves into a church, to be denominated the Associate Reformed Church of the Town of Seneca." In July following the work of organization was completed, and at the first communion service forty-five members were on the church roll. After much work the little society succeeded in raising a fund and erecting a church edifice, a plain though neat frame structure, which was used about twenty- five years, and then, in 1838 and '39, was superseded by a larger and more pretentious building, which the society still occupies. This edifice was enlarged and improved in 1862, and again in 1868.

In 1859 this church changed its ecclesiastical connection and became essentially Presbyterian in doctrine and teaching. Its present membership reaches the remarkable number of 350 persons, and within the bounds of the congregation there are maintained four Sunday-schools. The succession of pastors and supplies of this church has been as follows: James Mears, Andrew Wilson (supplies), Thomas White (first pastor), William Nesbit, John D. Gibson, Samuel Topping, George Patton, A. B. Temple. The latter, Mr. Temple, became pastor in March, 1873, and has ever since continued in that relation, a period of more than twenty years.


Marriage and Death Notices from Seneca County, New York, Newspapers, 1817-1885. By Mary S. Jackson and Edward F. Jackson, published by Heritage Books in 1997. Contains over 3,000 notices culled from 8 early Seneca County newspapers. Not on line as this book is within copyright.

Some Cemeteries of the Between the Lakes Country (portions of Seneca, Schuyler, and Tompkins Counties, N.Y.), 3 vols. Collected by Jessie Howell Finch, 1889-1968, and others compiled and edited by Carl W. Fischer, Harriet Jackson Swick. Published under the sponsorship of the Chief Taufhannock Chapter, D.A.R. in Trumansburg, N.Y. 1974. Not on line as it's within copyright.


Learn More About The Senecas

Seneca Native American Tribe An overview of the Seneca Indian tribe, their language and history.

Seneca Dictionary Short vocabulary of Seneca Indian words.

Seneca Culture and History Directory Related links about the Seneca tribe past and present.

Iroquois Confederacy Information and links about the Iroquois League.


Greenwood District + Seneca Village

Tulsa OK, Greenwood District, was the wealthiest black community in America. It was bombed in 1921. It was the first and only attack America made on its own soil. It was because the residents were black. It was because they owned their wealth. It was because black people impacted the economy.

Central Park was built on Seneca Village - a thriving post World War community in NY. Through the system of eminent domain (institutional housing discrimination) the government kicked the 240+ residents out and built what we know as Central Park. Central Park is the graveyard to a thriving economy and a community capable of circulating its own wealth and disrupting the status quo.

Greenwood Seneca pays homage to two examples of Black people's untapped capabilities. Two examples of how systemic oppression has restarted the Black community beyond the 400 years since our forced arrival. It is two examples of how despite centuries of overt and systemic abuse - the capabilities, mobility and value of this community was so big it had to be destroyed and unjustly it had to be controlled. Black Lives Matter has reignited attention to our community. There is a new focus and urgency on unpacking the wrongs and investing in making it right. We believe a revolution is coming and we want to support and engage others in the collective action to get there.


Seneca Indians

The Seneca people living in Ohio during the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries were related to the Seneca tribe of New York. The Seneca in New York were one of the most powerful members of the Iroquois confederacy. As the westernmost members of the Iroquois Confederacy, the Seneca were known as the "Keepers of the Western Door." The Ohio Seneca spoke the Iroquois language.

Many of these the group that became known as the Ohio Seneca left New York, hoping to find a better life in the Ohio Country. Upon arriving in Ohio, these natives had limited contact with their original tribe in New York. They formed their own political system that was quite separate from that of the main Seneca nation in New York. The Ohio Senecas also joined with the Algonquian tribes of the Ohio Country in their wars with the Iroquois. The Ohio Seneca probably included more than just Senecas from New York. The Ohio Seneca tribe also probably included members of the Seneca-Cayuga nation (historically referred to by the exonym "Mingo,") the Erie nation, the Conestoga nation, with members from several other tribes.


SOCIETY

Each town in the tribe contained several long, bark covered communal houses that had both tribal and political significance. Inside each house several families lived in semi-private rooms or areas and the center areas were used as social and political meeting places. They lived in scattered villages that were organized by a system of matrilineal clans.

A calendar cycle of ceremonies reflected their agricultural, hunting, and gathering. The men hunted, cleared fields, traded and made war. The woman gathered various wild plant foods and tended gardens. They had a great agricultural economy. Their main crop was corn, but they also grew pumpkins, beans, tobacco, maize, and squash and later on they grew orchard fruits like apples and peaches. Crafts were also made. Fine pottery, splint baskets, mats of corn husk and used wampum as a medium of exchange.


Seneca Falls in 1848

In the 1790s, the first white settlers founded Seneca Falls alongside the falls of the Seneca River, a mile-long series of rapids with a combined drop of 49 feet. Participants in the Sullivan-Clinton Campaign (1779) had recognized the potential of the area and returned. The Continental Army’s Campaign is considered by some an astounding military feat, by others a tragic devastation of the homelands of the Iroquois Confederacy or Six Nations.

By 1794 the state of New York had charted a route for the Great Western Road, a section of which crossed the Seneca River using the main street (Fall Street) through the settlement of Seneca Falls. By 1800 the Seneca Road Company was established to maintain and improve the condition of the roadway. Locally the thoroughfare became known as the Seneca Turnpike.

The Bayard Company held a monopoly on the area's abundant waterpower and controlled access to the falls of Seneca Falls. Their inflated prices prevented development of new industry until 1825. That year the company went bankrupt, and its interests were sold. The now-accessible waterpower allowed for rapid growth of mills and factories along the river banks and on islands in the riverbed. Within six years, there were five sawmills, two textile factories, five flour mills, and three tin and sheet-iron plants.

In 1821, when the Seneca Lock Navigation Company opened a canal to bypass the falls, more islands were created between the two waterways. New factories were built on these islands and the village grew and prospered. By 1828, the Cayuga-Seneca Canal was linked to the Erie Canal, making transport of raw materials and finished goods easier and opening up a much larger market for items manufactured locally. Seneca Falls had become the place the Bayard Company had once advertised: a place for “men of enterprise and capitol” that “offered profitable employment of both.” The area originally known as Mynderse Mills officially became the Village of Seneca Falls in 1831. Ansel Bascom was selected as the first President (Mayor) of the Village.

Beginning in 1841 the Rochester-Auburn railroad system opened the door to world markets for goods manufactured in Seneca Falls. Trains provided a tangible link to the outside world that was faster and more efficient than shipping goods and transporting people by barge or overland. The railroad brought a swift influx of ideas, people, and mail, and connected local markets to national ones. The local industry began to specialize in manufactured products rather than offer a variety of goods intended for the local market. By the 1840s and 50s, pumps, fire engines, and other metal goods became important products of Seneca Falls industry shipped to a world market via the railroad.

The advent of manufacturing opened new possibilities for women as well for the first time, women could work outside the home. As women started to earn money, they began to realize the extent of discrimination they faced. Married women had to give up their wages to their husbands and were unable to execute contracts or buy property. Women were paid less than their male coworkers. As they could not vote, they were taxed without representation. These economic realities led people to think about the issues that would be raised at the Seneca Falls Convention.

Social and religious upheavals during this period were considerable. Reform movements, such as temperance and abolition, had broad support in the region by 1848, but there was also considerable opposition. The area later became known as “The Burned-Over District,” because of the popularity of religious revivals and new religious sects that “spread like wildfire.” Many utopian communities shared a faith in perfectibility of people and society and were open to and experimented with new forms of social and religious organization.

Seneca Falls was a thriving and prosperous community, rich in waterpower resources and surrounded by fertile farmland. Its inhabitants could be optimists about the future and were undoubtedly affected by demands for social reform and religious and utopian ideas about people and society. Many local citizens formed and participated in antislavery societies and temperance leagues, ran stations on the Underground Railroad they were willing to listen to and participate in a discussion about changing the public roles of women in society. These factors led nearly 300 people to respond to the call for a women’s rights convention.

Religious and political reformers, especially the Free Soil Party members, were important participants in the Seneca Falls Convention. In 1848, a presidential election year, both major party candidates favored extending slavery from the South into the western territories. The Free Soil Party was formed in response to this. The Free Soilers would only support a candidate who opposed the extension of slavery. Local abolitionists created a Free Soil chapter in a meeting in the Wesleyan Chapel on June 13, 1848. Many of these abolitionists returned to the Chapel for the Women’s Rights Convention in July. These reformers recognized the similarities between the status of black men and that of women in society.

Quakers were another important group at the Convention. In June 1848, the local Genesee Yearly Meeting of Friends had split over issues of church governance. Those who broke away – the Progressive or Congregational Friends – believed that all persons were equal and should not be subject to the control of a hierarchy of ministers and elders. They based their religious organization on a commitment to social reform work. They came to the Convention to demonstrate their commitment to radical equality.

The 1848 Seneca Falls Women’s Rights Convention occurred in an atmosphere of idealistic reform. This was the first meeting to be held for the purpose of discussing the “social, civil, and religious conditions and the rights of woman.” It was the beginning of the women’s rights movement in the United States.


شاهد الفيديو: Seneca - سينيكا (قد 2022).

Video, Sitemap-Video, Sitemap-Videos