جديد

منظر لكنيسة فهراماشين والحمامات المدمرة

منظر لكنيسة فهراماشين والحمامات المدمرة


We are searching data for your request:

Forums and discussions:
Manuals and reference books:
Data from registers:
Wait the end of the search in all databases.
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.


منتجعات جنوب ماونتن

تقع على سفوح الجبل الجنوبي ، على بعد أميال قليلة غرب ريدينج ، وهناك العديد من الهياكل المهيبة التي تنتشر بين الخضرة والغابات وسقوف المرتفعات التي تحيط بوادي لبنان.

بالنسبة للغريب الذي يقود على طول الطريق 422 ، قد تشبه هذه المباني أنقاض قلاع القرون الوسطى. حتى الآن ، وفي هذا العالم الجديد الذي لا توجد به قلاع ، تشير هذه الصروح إلى عظمة اليوم السابق. لكن لم يكن مجد القوة الإقطاعية هو ما أعلنته هذه الهياكل المتقنة. كان كرامهم في تفانيهم لاستعادة الصحة لأولئك الذين يعانون من الألم وعكس روعتهم المقاصد السامية لرجال الطب الذين بنوها.

قبل مائة عام ، لم يكن الطب هو العلم الدقيق الذي هو عليه اليوم. يجب أن يتطور التقدم في أي مجال من مجالات الدراسة من خلال النظرية والتجربة. خلال النصف الثاني من القرن التاسع عشر ، كان هناك العديد من الأشخاص الذين اعتقدوا أن علاجات لأمراض معينة يمكن العثور عليها في مجال الطبيعة الأكبر للمناخ والهواء النقي والمياه النقية والتمارين الرياضية والحمامات بمختلف أنواعها. بالنسبة لهؤلاء الممارسين ، لا يمكن وضع الاعتماد الرئيسي على أشكال الطبيعة المعالجة مثل الحبوب والحقن والمواد الأخرى للطب الحديث. لا ينبغي تفسير هذا على أنه لا توجد معرفة بالطب أو أن العلاجات الحديثة تسخر من جهود الممارسين الأوائل. التغيير الذي نعرفه اليوم هو مسألة درجة التركيز. مع تقدم علوم المختبرات والبحوث الطبية ، أصبحت & # 8220 water cures & # 8221 أو المعالجة المائية أقل أهمية في علاج الاضطرابات ، كما أن المباني المعقدة ، بالقرب من المنتجعات المائية وعلى قمم الجبال ، أصبحت غير صالحة لهذه الأغراض.

تقع معظم المنتجعات الصحية ، المعروفة باسم المصحات ، في ذلك الجزء من الجبل الجنوبي الذي يقع داخل ما يُعرف الآن بجنوب هايدلبرغ ، مقاطعة بيركس. كان Wernersville في ذلك الوقت ، كما هو الحال الآن ، أقرب مجتمع يتمتع بميزة خدمة السكك الحديدية المتكررة للركاب ، وفي الأيام السابقة ، كان النقل بالسكك الحديدية هو الوسيلة الرئيسية للسفر بين النقاط البعيدة. منذ العام الأول لافتتاح محطة Wernersville التابعة لفرع وادي لبنان لخط سكة حديد Reading (1857) حتى دخلت السيارة حيز الاستخدام العام ، وصل جميع المرضى والضيوف والشحنات المتجهة إلى منتجعات South Mountain إلى محطة Wernersville. كان مشهدًا مألوفًا عدة مئات من الضيوف ، الذين يصلون أو يغادرون على أي قطار.

يتذكر القدامى أن الأدميرال إدوين لونجينكر ، المقيم في Wernersville بعد تقاعده (1912) من 45 عامًا من الخدمة في البحرية الأمريكية ، كان المرحب غير الرسمي للغرباء عندما خرجوا من حافلات القطارات ثم سارعوا إلى عربات الانتظار التي كانت متوقفة بالقرب من المحطة لنقلهم إلى المنتجعات التي يختارونها. كانت تكلفة رحلة بعربات تجرها الخيول من Wernersville إلى الجبل 25 سنتًا للفرد. يمكن أن تستوعب العربات من أربعة إلى عشرين راكبًا.

عُرفت هذه المنتجعات بأسماء مختلفة خلال الأرباع الثلاثة من القرن الذي كانت تعمل فيه. سنقوم بتعيينهم ، هنا ، من خلال الأسماء الأكثر شيوعًا المطبقة بالقرب من انتهاء عملياتهم ، مع توفير تاريخ موجز لكل من المؤسسات الرئيسية.

أول شخص انجذب إلى South Mountain بهدف إنشاء مركز صحي كان الدكتور Charles E. Leisenring ، وهو مواطن ألماني. لقد جاء إلى جنوب شرق ولاية بنسلفانيا لغرض واحد هو بناء مصحة. بعد التحقيق في الاحتمالات في إفراتا ، مقاطعة لانكستر ، والينابيع المختلفة القريبة من مدينة ريدينغ ، قرر أن هذه البقع ، على الرغم من أنها جيدة ، لا يمكنها أن تضمن له الإمدادات الوفيرة من المياه التي يحتاجها لمشروعه.

تلائم Cushion Hill في South Mountain غرض Leisenring & # 8217s. بين عامي 1847 و 1855 بنى أكواخه الأولى وغطى الينابيع التي وجدها في قطعة أرضه التي امتلكها حديثًا والتي تبلغ مساحتها 50 فدانًا. عُرف مشروعه بأسماء مختلفة ، أكثرها شيوعًا & # 8220Cushion Hill Water Cure ، & # 8221 آخر ، & # 8220Cold Spring Water Cure & # 8221 وأحيانًا & # 8220Mountain Resort. & # 8221 Leisenring & # 8217s death في يونيو 1857 قطع تمديد خططه المفصلة. تم تشغيل المؤسسة من قبل & # 8220Mr. Adolphus & # 8221 (الاسم الأول غير معروف) حتى عام 1865 ، عندما تم شراء العقار من قبل الدكتور والسيدة آرون سميث. تخرج كل من الدكتور سميث وزوجته من مدرسة المعالجة المائية. أعادوا تسمية المكان & # 8220Hygiean Home ، & # 8221 لتمييز أغراضه عن & # 8220 water cure & # 8221 للدكتور Leisenring. قدم The Smiths العديد من الممارسات الجديدة مثل التدليك ، & # 8220 العلاجات الكهربائية & # 8221 وما شابه ذلك. قاموا بتوسيع المباني وإضافة مبانٍ جديدة وعملوا بنجاح من عام 1865 إلى عام 1873.

قام الدكتور روبن د. وينريتش والدكتور جيمس دبليو ديبين ، وهما طبيبان محليان ، بشراء العقار من عزبة سميث (1879) ، وأعادوا تسميته إلى مصحة جراند فيو. تم توسيع المبنى الرئيسي (المعروف الآن باسم الفندق) إلى حجم يتسع لـ 150 ضيفًا.

حظي وضعها بإطلالة رائعة على وادي لبنان. كانت مقصورة التشمس الاصطناعي في الطابق السادس محاطة بالزجاج هنا ، ويمكن لأولئك الذين يعانون من الروماتيزم والإرهاق العصبي وأمراض أخرى أن يستمتعوا بأشعة الشمس ، مما يضمن فوائد المناخ الجنوبي.

كانت الأمراض التي عولجت في الأساس أمراض مزمنة ولكنها قابلة للشفاء. اعتبر الأطباء أن المناخ مفيد بشكل خاص لحالات النزلات والروماتيزم والنقرس والسجود العصبي وشكاوى الكبد. وشملت علاجاتهم غير الطبية التدليك ، والكهرباء بأشكال مختلفة ، والتدليك بالملح ، وحمامات البخار والكبريت.

إن مياه & # 8220Pavilion Spring & # 8221 التي أثبتت أنها مفيدة للغاية في أمراض الكلى والكبد والمعدة كانت معروفة جيدًا. تم بيع مياه هذا النبع في كل ولاية تقريبًا في الاتحاد. في عام 1890 ، كان سعر برميل واحد ، 40 جالونًا ، 6.00 دولارًا و 1/2 برميل ، و 3.50 دولارًا أمريكيًا لعلبة واحدة من زجاجات 12 1/2 جالون ، و 2.70 دولارًا أمريكيًا 5 جالونات في زجاجات سعة 1/2 جالونًا ، 2.00 دولارًا أمريكيًا ، تم تسليمها f.o.b. ويرنرسفيل.

The Grand-View Chapel (غير طائفي) هو صرح جميل مبني من الحجر الجيري الرمادي ، مع نوافذ زجاجية ملونة ، وتتسع لـ 100 شخص. الكنيسة محاطة من جميع الجوانب بأشجار دائمة الخضرة وخشب القرانيا ، مما يمنحها أجواء خلابة للغاية.

بعد وفاة الدكتور ديبن في عام 1895 ، واصل الدكتور وينريتش تشغيل & # 8220Grand-View. & # 8221 كان لديه من شركائه ولديه ، الدكتور جورج جي والدكتور جون إيه وينريتش. كان الدكتور ويليام إف موهلينبيرج والدكتور دانيال بي دي بيفر من ريدينغ مستشارين للأطباء والجراحين.

تم إغلاق هذه المصحة بعد وفاة الدكتور روبين وينريش في عام 1926. لا يزال المبنى الرئيسي قائمًا ، ولكن لم يتم احتلاله مرة أخرى كمنتجع صحي. اليوم ، الأجزاء الرئيسية من Grand-View مملوكة لشقيقين ، أنتوني وسيباستيان بودانزا.

د. والترز & # 8217 ماونتن بارك

خلال الفترة ما بين 1873 ، نهاية عملية عائلة سميث & # 8217s لمنزل Hygiean (Grand-View) وشرائه من قبل الدكاترة. Wenrich and Deppen (1879) تم تأجير المنتجع من عزبة سميث من قبل الدكتور روبرت والتر وزوجته يونيس ، وهي أيضًا طبيبة.

خلال فترة عمله التي امتدت لثلاث سنوات في Hygiean Home ، توصل الدكتور والتر إلى استنتاج مفاده أن هناك حاجة إلى مؤسسة أخرى لدمج كل أفكاره. لقد قضى شبابه على أنه معاق ، وأجبر على الانتقال من مؤسسة علاجية إلى أخرى.

في وقت من الأوقات ، في عام 1868 ، سجل أنه كان & # 8220 نقطة الموت. & # 8221 أرجع تعافيه إلى مزيج من الهواء النقي والمياه العذبة والتمارين الرياضية والحركة السويدية والتدليك والتطبيقات الكهربائية أنواع مختلفة.

في عام 1876 ، أسس المؤسسة التي حملت اسمها لسنوات عديدة باسم Walter & # 8217s Park ، في South Mountain ، أسفل Wernersville. قال عن طريقة علاجه عام 1909:

تم تنظيم هذا النظام العلاجي لأول مرة في Wernersville بمفردي ويتم الإعلان عن نجاحه بشكل أفضل من قبل المؤسسات التي لا حصر لها في جميع أنحاء البلاد والتي تبنت العنوان وأدارت العلاج بأفضل ما تعرفه. كان الدكتور روبرت والتر بالفعل فردانيًا. يوفر النقش الذي كتبه لشاهد قبره (الموجود في مقبرة كنيسة Hain & # 8217s ، Wernersville) قبل خمس سنوات من وفاته (1921) نظرة ثاقبة لشخصيته ومعتقداته: WALTER-Dr. روبرت والتر ، الذي أصيب بالشلل مرتين وكان واضحًا أنه غير قابل للشفاء ، حمل ما يسمى بأمراض القلب لمدة ستين عامًا كان يعاني من الفقر من خلال التجربة الطبية في عام 1873 ، وجاء إلى Wernersville مثقلًا بفكرة عظيمة ، ولكن بمساعدة لقاء مساعدة نبيل ، بدأ نظامًا من العلاجات الصحية جديدة تمامًا ، مع نتائج تجاوزت الأهمية لنفسه و 15000 غيره. ومن ثم ، فإن الفكرة الصحية الصحيحة ، فإن قوة الحياة المستمدة من المريض هي القوة الوحيدة للعلاج. جميع الأدوية التي يبدو أنها تزيد من هذه القوة ، تقللها بدلاً من ذلك من خلال الإنفاق وتميل إلى منع التعافي ، طوال الوقت يبدو أنها تروج له. كان هذا استنتاج Walter & # 8217s بعد عشر سنوات من الخبرة # 8217 ، تم تأكيده الآن من خلال 50 عامًا & # 8217 التحقق. العادل يجب أن يعيش بالإيمان ، الأساس العلمي الوحيد.

في وقت تطورها الأكبر ، كانت حديقة Walter & # 8217s تضم 500 فدان من الأراضي الجبلية. كان المبنى الرئيسي بطول 300 قدم وارتفاع خمسة طوابق. تم بناؤه كقلعة من العصور الوسطى محاطًا بالمنحدرات الخضراء لجنوب الجبل ، وهو مشهد جميل يمكن رؤيته من أي نقطة في وادي لبنان إلى الشمال.

& # 8220 لا ملاريا ولا بعوض ولا ندى & # 8221 كان فخورًا بمنتزه والتر & # 8217s. لجأ العديد من الضيوف البارزين إلى المأوى ، ومن بينهم أرملة الجنرال ستونوول جاكسون ورجل الدولة العظيم ويليام جينينغز برايان. تم تجهيز المكان بأضواء كهربائية ، ومصعد هيدروليكي ، ومكتبة دائرية ، واسطبل كسوة يضم خيولًا ذات تربية قياسية لركوب الخيل. تم تقديم حمام سباحة وبلياردو وتنس وبولينج وكروكيه والعديد من الألعاب الأخرى للضيوف المميزين.

بعد وفاة الدكتور والتر ، أصبحت & # 8220park & ​​# 8221 ملكًا لشركة أعادت تسمية المكان & # 8220South Mountain Manor & # 8221 ، وواصلت لعدة سنوات بعد ذلك تقديم بعض الخدمات التي كانت المؤسسة السابقة عرضت.

في السنوات الأخيرة ، أصبحت المقر الرئيسي للأخوة الرياضية ، التي تجتذب عشاق الجبال من المناطق الحضرية القريبة. اليوم هو & # 8220 white elephant & # 8221 مملوك من قبل مصنع أقمشة فيلادلفيا وشركائه.

بريستون

تم إنشاء المنتجع الصيفي & # 8220Preston Sunny Side & # 8221 من قبل الدكتور جيمس س. بريستون في عام 1880 وقام بتشغيله ابنه جيمس بعد عام 1882. كانت المباني من الحجر والإطار ، بارتفاع ثلاثة طوابق ، وكانت متصلة بساحات مغطاة. كانت هناك أماكن إقامة لـ 125 ضيفًا. تطل الساحات على منظر رائع لوادي لانكستر. كانت الأراضي خلابة وجذابة ، وتضم حديقة غابات واسعة. كان الجبل في الجزء الخلفي من المنتجع الذي يصل إلى الأبواب مرصعًا بأشجار الصنوبر والأرز والقرانيا الكبيرة. منظر جميل خاصة في ربيع العام. المنتجع يتكون من أكثر من 500 فدان ، معظمها غابات. قدم المرصد الموجود على قمة الجبل بانوراما ، بما في ذلك المنظر الأكثر اكتمالا لكل من وديان لانكستر ولبنان.

في عام 1913 ، باع السيد والسيدة بريستون منتجعهما لشركة Galen Hall Co. ، في أتلانتيك سيتي ، نيو جيرسي. تم توسيعه بشكل كبير ومنذ ذلك الحين تم إجراؤه كفندق من الدرجة الأولى. هذا هو المنتجع الوحيد على الجبل بأكمله الذي يعمل اليوم. تشتهر بملعب الجولف الجميل والصعب بالإضافة إلى المؤتمرات التي تقام في الربيع والخريف. عقدت إحدى أولى المؤتمرات التي جذبت اهتمامًا كبيرًا في جميع أنحاء البلاد في عام 1915 من قبل صناعة الصور المتحركة. كان Wernersville ضجيجًا مع المراسلين في ذلك الوقت. كان بعض من حضروا المؤتمر هم نجوم الصور المتحركة بيرل وايت ، ومابيل نورماند ، ومارجريت كلارك ، وفرانسيس إكس.بوشمان ، وجون باني ، & # 8220 فاتي & # 8221 آرباكل - ولا يزال بإمكاني تصوير ماري بيكفورد وهي تقود سيارتها عبر ويرنرسفيل مع عريسها ، توم. مور ، في سيارة ستوتز رودستر الحمراء.

بيت الغروب

قام السيد فرانسيس جروش ، الذي يدير منتجعًا في مقاطعة شويلكيل ، ببناء & # 8220Mt. Sunset House & # 8221 عام 1876. كان المنتجع يتسع لـ 200 ضيف. لكن السيد غروش ، الذي كان بنّاءًا حجريًا ، فضل تجارته على تشغيل منتجع صيفي. وهكذا ، بعد عدة سنوات ، تُركت الإدارة لصهره ، الدكتور دونالد موير ، وهو طبيب محلي ممارس. بعد وفاته في 20 & # 8217 ، تم بيع المنتجع إلى السيد جورج غول ، الذي كان لسنوات عديدة سكرتيرًا لمصحة Grand-View Sanatorium.

تحت إدارة كل من الدكتور موير والسيد غول ، كان المنتجع معروفًا بإطلالته على غروب الشمس وأيضًا لتناول العشاء يوم الأحد. يُعرف المنتجع اليوم باسم & # 8220Villa Maria & # 8221 ، ويستخدم كملاذ ومستشفى للأخوات الكاثوليك المسنات.

يقع Belle Alto (الذي يعني الارتفاع الجميل) على قمة الجبل الجنوبي ، ويطل على مناظر رائعة لوادي لبنان ومدينة ريدينغ. هذا المنتجع ، المبني من الحجر مع شرفاته الواسعة من الجوانب الثلاثة ، كان مكانًا مفضلًا لمجموعة & # 8220Rocking Chair. & # 8221 كانت هناك أماكن إقامة تتسع لـ 60 إلى 70 ضيفًا. في عام 1894 قام السيد E. Yenny بشراء المنتجع ، لكنه لم يكن ناجحًا جدًا في تشغيله. في عام 1898 تم بيع المكان للسيد صموئيل بي كيبل. عندما زرت السيدة ويليام ديلب من Wernersville ، ابنة السيد Keppel ، لاحظت لوحة كبيرة من Ben Atistrian (فنان ريدينغ) في غرفة المعيشة. أبلغتني السيدة Delp أن الصورة أعطيت لوالدها مقابل لوحة الفنان & # 8217s والغرفة. ظهر اسمه عدة مرات في سجل الضيف.

السيد J. Howell Cummings ، رئيس مصنع Stetson Hat ، اشترى المنتجع في عام 1905 واستخدمه كمنزل صيفي. توفي السيد كامينغز في عام 1927 واشترت عائلة السيد جيمس سيسك من ريدينغ العقار من العقار في عام 1939.

بيندين وود

سجلات المبنى الذي نعرفه الآن باسم Bynden Wood سطحية. ربما سيتمكن بعض الطلاب المغامرين في التاريخ المحلي من العثور على بعض الإجابات القوية بالتفصيل. يمكن الإدلاء بالبيان نفسه فيما يتعلق بالبيوت الجبلية الأخرى التي لم تكن ، في المقام الأول ، منتجعات صحية. من بين هؤلاء كان هناك Pomeroy & # 8217s و Highland House (المعروف الآن باسم Chit-Chat) و Hillside و Park Mansion (لاحقًا Indiandale) ومنتجعات أخرى في منطقة WernersvilleVinemont.

تم بناء Bynden Wood في الأصل في عام 1869 من قبل John B. Stetson ، مؤسس شركة قبعات مشهورة عالميًا. لقد بناه كمنزل صيفي. الهيكل ، الذي سماه Bynden Wood ، أغفل مناطق في مقاطعتي Berks و Lancaster. في عام 1888 تم شراء العقار من قبل جون تولبرت من فيلادلفيا. استخدمه السيد تولبرت كمنزل صيفي حتى وفاته في عام 1896. على مدار العامين التاليين ، تم استخدامه كمقر صيفي من قبل السيد والسيدة ويليام إتش لودن من ريدينغ. في عام 1898 تم تحويل العقار إلى منتجع صيفي وقام بتشغيله ورثة تولبرت.

في مطلع القرن ، تم شراء عقار Bynden Wood من قبل الدكتورة أوكتافيا كروم ، التي كانت تدير المصحة حتى وفاتها. كانت الآنسة ماري مورتون ، ابنة ليفي ب مورتون ، المالكة التالية للعقار. خلال فترة ملكيتها ، تم استخدام الهيكل كمنزل صيفي خاص. من عام 1932 إلى عام 1947 أصبح مرة أخرى منتجعًا صيفيًا. في عام 1947 ، اشترت مؤسسة Wyomissing العقار وقدمته إلى Central Y.M.C.A. في القراءة. يتم استخدامه حاليًا كمركز ثقافي.

قدمت منتجعات South Mountain ، خلال أوجها ، فرص عمل للعديد من الأشخاص في غرب بيركس. تزامن تراجعها مع الوقت مع التطور السريع لصناعة النسيج في مناطق غرب ريدينغ. ووجد معظم هؤلاء الموظفين الذين شردهم إغلاق المصحات فرص عمل جاهزة في أماكن أخرى.

إن صعود وانحدار وهجر المنتجعات الصحية على طول الجبل الجنوبي هو أمر تاريخي. لا يزال من الممكن رؤية بقايا يوم مجدهم ويمكن الاستمتاع بالمسارات المورقة والينابيع الباردة والمناظر الرائعة حتى اليوم.

ظهر هذا المقال في الأصل في عدد ربيع عام 1962 من المجلة التاريخية لمقاطعة بيركس.


مشاة في المدينة المدمرة

كانت حياة أحد آثار عصر النهضة بعيدة كل البعد عن البساطة. في أبريل 1436 ، عندما وصل Cyriac of Ancona إلى أثينا ، شعر بسعادة غامرة لرؤية البارثينون ، المعبد الرخامي & lsquomarvellous للإلهة بالاس ، العمل الإلهي لفيدياس & [رسقوو]. عد أعمدتها ، وأعجب بأفاريزها وعلق على البراعة الفنية التي مثلت بها فيدياس معركة القنطور واللابيث. حتى أنه رسم المبنى على الفور. فقط نسخة عادلة من رسمه تبقى على قيد الحياة. يغفل تفاصيل مهمة ولكنه ينقل الانطباع القوي الذي أحدثه المبنى عليه. بعد أن عاد سيرياك بروح إلى العالم القديم ، لم يرسم سوى المكونات العتيقة للمبنى. تجاهل برج الجرس والإضافات الأخرى التي سجلت تحوله إلى كنيسة مسيحية. بعد زيارة أثينا عام 1444 ، أصبح أول كاتب لاتيني منذ قرون يسمي الأكروبوليس باسمه الصحيح. في الأيام الجيدة بدا العالم القديم الحي في متناول اليد تقريبًا.

ومع ذلك ، في عام 1447 ، عندما زار سيرياك سبارتا ، وجد صالة الألعاب الرياضية & lsquoancient و hellip في جزء كبير منها سقطت وسقطت بسبب ويلات الزمن والإهمال البطيء للسكان اللاحقين & [رسقوو]. على الرغم من أنه كان يستمتع بنسخ بعض النقوش المثيرة للاهتمام & lsquoin نصوصها اليونانية الدقيقة للغاية & [رسقوو] ، إلا أن معظم ما رآه جعله يشعر بالاكتئاب. كانت المدن النبيلة للقدماء في حالة خراب. وإذا كان من المأساوي سقوط المعابد وتماثيلها ، فإن حالتها كشفت شيئًا أسوأ: فقد الجنس البشري فضيلته القديمة. فقط لقاء مع شاب متقشف أبهج له. اشتهر الرجل بقفزه مرة واحدة على خنزير بري أثناء الصيد ، قبل قتله & lsquoby sheer force & rsquo. عندما وصلوا إلى نهر ، حمله عبره ووضعه بأمان على الجانب الآخر. يبدو أن الفضيلة المتقشف لم تكن ميتة بعد.

في قصص الأشباح لـ M.R. James ، يكون الأثريون أكثر جفافًا من الغبار: يتطلب الأمر هجومًا من قبل الغول الذي يبلغ من العمر قرونًا لجعلهم يندلعون في بقعة من الفوضى المعتدلة. في الواقع ، كانوا مخلوقات متقلبة. إن زيارة أي موقع قديم ، وخاصة روما وندش ، ربما تكون أكبر كتلة من الآثار القديمة في مكان واحد في أي مكان في العالم & ndash يمكن أن تملأ أحد الآثار بالبهجة أو اليأس ، أو كليهما في وقت واحد. لم يكن اليأس مجرد استجابة للتدهور التاريخي ولكن للخسائر في الوقت الحاضر. في العقود الوسطى من القرن الخامس عشر ، عندما رسم بوجيو براتشيوليني وليون باتيستا ألبيرتي وآخرون مناطق روما ورسكووس وحددوا مبانيها ، سجل الأمناء البابويون بعناية المدفوعات التي تم إجراؤها وإزالة الترافرتين من الكولوسيوم و rsquo. في عام 1462 ، أصدر الإنسان الإنساني البابا بيوس الثاني ثورًا يحظر إزالة الأنقاض وحرق الرخام القديم من أجل الجير. حذا الباباوات الآخرون حذوه. كما أظهر ديفيد كارمون منذ بعض الوقت ، فإن حركة الحفاظ على المواقع القديمة في حالتها الحالية ولدت في نفس السنوات عندما كان الأثريون قلقين من أن روما كانت تستهلك مادتها الخاصة لتغذية إحياءها.

سوزان ستيوارت ورسكووس درس الخراب يروي قصة هؤلاء الأثريين وما تعلموه من الآثار التي استحوذت عليهم. كانت حساسيتهم ، كما تظهر ، قديمة. في عصر أغسطس ، عندما أصبحت روما مدينة رخامية ، نظر الشعراء بحزن إلى البساطة المفقودة في العصور السابقة وتفاؤلوا بالمستقبل ، عندما قضت قرون من الرياح والأمطار على الأهرامات الحجرية العظيمة والنقوش البرونزية. لكنهم تفاخروا بآياتهم الخاصة. لم يكونوا أول ولا آخر من أعاد صياغة الأطلال كموضوع للشعر. قبل ما يقرب من ألفي عام ، وصف المسؤول المصري سارينبوت الأول ملاذًا متحللًا: "لقد اختفت جدرانه ، وشكله غامض حتى بالنسبة لشاهد عيان وشكله ، وامتلأت كل غرفة بالحطام." أعجبت القصيدة الإنجليزية المعروفة باسم Genesis A بتألق الرومان الذين خلقوا عجائب Aquae Sulis (باث): & lsquo عقل متسارع المزاج ، ورجل ذكي ، / ماكر في الحلقات ، مربوط بشجاعة بقاعدة الجدار / بالحديد ، عجائب . & [رسقوو] Sarenput أعاد بناء الآثار التي وصفها بمثل هذا الكآبة ، وأمر مزارات جديدة لنفسه والملاذ و rsquos المكرس. من المفترض أن مؤلف سفر التكوين أ ترك الآثار التي أعجب بها في حالتها المكسورة. لقد نظر الكتاب إلى الأطلال بمشاعر من كل نوع ، من الحنين إلى الشماتة ومن الشفقة إلى المتعة.

لقد وهبوا أيضًا المعابد الساقطة والكهوف الساحرة بسكان خياليين وندش فوق كل الإناث ، من بوليا ، موضوع الحب بعيد المنال في الرواية الأثرية العظيمة ، نقص المعدة Poliphiliإلى الحوريات النائمات التي تزين تماثيلها حدائق عصر النهضة. كان لدى العديد من الأثريين ميل للفتيات اللواتي ماتن بشكل رومانسي ، مثل النبيلة الرومانية الشابة التي عثر عليها في تابوت على طريق أبيان في عام 1485. تم نقل جسدها إلى كابيتولين هيل ، حيث اجتذب حشودًا من المتفرجين ، بما في ذلك الفنانين الذين أرادوا التسجيل. جمالها والكيميائي الذي حلل هلام التحنيط الذي حافظ عليها سليمة. بعد أيام قليلة ، ربما يكون البابا & ndash مستاءًا من التشابه بين الطاعة الممنوحة لجسدها وأن القديسين المعتبرين & ndash أخذوا الجثة ودفنوا. ومع ذلك ، استمر الشعراء والفنانين ، كما يوضح ستيوارت ، في ربط الآثار بالنساء الشابات المثاليات بأعجوبة ، وخالية من المفارقة خالية من الحياة والأذى & [رسقوو]. ظهرت المعابد المنهارة بانتظام بالقرب من عذراء على وجه الخصوص & ndash Mary & ndash في لوحات الميلاد: & lsquo تقف أطلال الوثنية كشهود صامت ومذل على الإنجازات المسيحية. & rsquo

كانت روما عاصمة الأثريات والبلاد ، وكان ما يسميه المؤرخون الآن بشكل محرج الفترة الحديثة المبكرة ، من القرن الخامس عشر إلى القرن الثامن عشر ، أوجها. كان زوار روما في العصور الوسطى قد تعجبوا بالفعل من المدينة وبقايا rsquos ، بمساعدة في ذلك الوقت كما هو الحال الآن من خلال الكتيبات الإرشادية التي تمزج بين الخيال غير المعقول والتعليقات الذكية. الشعبية ميرابيليا أوربيس رومي كانت مليئة بالأخطاء في كل صفحة. لكنها أوضحت أن روما كانت مدينة خراب. لا يزال بإمكان الزائر اليقظ أن يرى آثار كنوزه القديمة المفقودة: جمال سقف البانثيون ورسكووس ، الذي كان مغطى ببلاط من النحاس المطلي بالذهب ، لدرجة أنه بدا من بعيد أنه جبل من الذهب وما زال هيلب. تميز في جزء و rsquo. لم يكن حنين عصر النهضة إلى روائع روما الإمبراطورية المفقودة جديدًا تمامًا.

كما لم تكن جهود عصر النهضة لإحياء المدينة القديمة. قام كولا دي رينزو ، الذي شرع في استعادة الجمهورية الرومانية في منتصف القرن الرابع عشر ، بفك رموز الكلمات المنقوشة على لوحة برونزية في كنيسة لاتيران. كان هذا ما يسمى ب ليكس دي إمبريو فيسباسياني، والتي ذكرت وأكدت سلطات إمبراطور القرن الأول الذي أعطى روما المباول العامة (أصدقائي الذين يتذكرون إثارة التبول ، كأولاد ، في المعدن التقليدي فيسباسياني لا يزالون يأسفون على اختفائهم). اعتقد كولا أن هذه الوثيقة أثبتت أن الشعب الروماني قد منح السلطة للأباطرة. انتهت جهوده العملية بالفشل والموت. لكن اعتقاده بأن روما القديمة يمكن أن توفر نماذج ورموز سياسية تم تناوله مرارًا وتكرارًا ، من خلال إعادة ترتيب موسوليني ورسكووس للمدينة في القرن العشرين.

نمت الآثار القديمة من هذه الممارسات والمعتقدات طويلة الأمد. لكن في القرن الخامس عشر ، اتخذت دراسة الماضي القديم شكلين جديدين متصلين. تم تجسيد كلاهما في نصوص وصور ، وكلاهما مهم لستيوارت. من ناحية ، جاء العلماء والفنانين لرؤية أطلال روما ورسكووس كمصدر تاريخي. إيمانويل كريسلوراس ، عالم بيزنطي محترم وبليغ من القسطنطينية (روما الجديدة) ، درس اللغة اليونانية في فلورنسا في نهاية القرن الرابع عشر. بمجرد وصوله إلى روما القديمة ، ركض من تل إلى تل للحصول على مناظر للمدينة وقنوات المياه rsquos والأروقة والحمامات والمسارح. في مقارنة ثابتة بين المدينتين ، وصف القيمة التاريخية لأقواس النصر في روما ورسكووس والأعمدة الإمبراطورية. صورت أفاريزهم روما القديمة وأعدائها بتفاصيل حية وشاملة: المهرجانات والتضحيات الدينية ، المعارك في البحر والأرض ، الأسلحة وآلات الحرب ، تم تمثيلها كما لو كانت حية بالصور. اعترف كريسولوراس أن هيرودوت وغيره من المؤرخين و lsquoseem قاموا بشيء مفيد للغاية ، وقاموا بتأطير أضعف مدح يمكن أن يجده. لكن قوة ومتانة الفن القديم مكّنا الأثري من رؤية الماضي أمامه. و lsquogrant لنا شهود عيان معرفة كل ما حدث كما لو كان حاضرا و [رسقوو].

كان التاريخ مهمًا في القرنين الخامس عشر والسادس عشر: فقد قدم للأمراء التوجيه الذي يحتاجونه لخوض المعارك وحكم الدول والقيام بمهام دبلوماسية. الرجال العظماء & ndash ليوناردو بروني ، المستشار الثري لفلورنسا بيوس الثاني ، البابا الإنساني البارع لورنزو فالا ، عالم اللغة اللامع & ndash كتب التاريخ. ومع ذلك ، كان بإمكان الأثريين الادعاء بأنهم ابتكروا شكلاً خاصًا من النظام. يعتقد معظم المؤرخين القدماء ، ومعظم مقلديهم في عصر النهضة ، أن التاريخ كان أكثر عمقًا وكشفًا عندما كتب من تجربة شهود عيان أو شهادة شهود عيان. فجأة ، كان الأثريون يجادلون بأنهم أنفسهم يمكن أن يشهدوا تاريخ روما في أوجها.

لكن العديد من الأثريين ، كما تظهر ستيوارت ، بحثوا أيضًا بطريقة مختلفة جدًا عن التاريخ المدمر ، وهذه الطريقة الثانية في المعرفة تهمها أكثر. ضمت رتبهم فنانين بالإضافة إلى علماء ، وكان بعض العلماء فنانين بطريقتهم الخاصة: كان بوجيو كاتبًا رئيسيًا وألبرتي مهندسًا رائدًا. عرف هؤلاء الرجال كيفية قراءة المباني ، مكونًا عنصرًا ، لاستنباط المبادئ الجمالية التي وجهت مبتكريهم. كما كانوا مفتونين بالطرق التي تغيرت بها الهياكل والأعمال الفنية بمرور الوقت. لقد أعربوا عن أسفهم ، بالطبع ، لأن الرومان المعاصرين قد حولوا الكولوسيوم إلى مقلع. لكنهم كانوا يعلمون أن البنائين الجشعين والعمال الجهلة لم يكونوا وحدهم المسؤولين عن هذا الدمار. كان كل جدار أو قناة مائية أو بازيليك أو مسرح منخرطًا منذ إنشائه في صراع وحشي لا نهاية له ضد ضرس الزمن. تجسد هذا في الطقس الذي أزال الحجر وتسبب في انهيار الجدران ، في العليق والأشجار التي نمت فوق الهياكل العظيمة مثل هرم سيستيوس ، والأرض التي تراكمت حتى أصبح الشكل الأساسي للمدينة غير معروف. أرعبتهم هذه الصراعات واستحوذت عليهم.

كان على خبير الآثار الماهر أن يكون قادرًا على تتبع العمليات الطويلة للعنف الطبيعي والبشري التي حولت الهياكل إلى أطلال. عندما فحص بوجيو جدران روما القديمة ، وجد منازل مبنية عليها ونوافذ منحوتة من خلالها. في الأماكن التي انهارت فيها ، كان يرى أنها مركبة ، ومكونة جزئيًا من شظايا من الرخام ، وجزئيًا من الطوب المصقول بدقة لدرجة أنها تشبه المزهريات. في أماكن أخرى كانوا هشين للغاية وفاسدين لدرجة أنهم كانوا على استعداد للسقوط دون أن يلمسهم أحد. كان هناك ، كما وجد ، طريقة واحدة للبناء ، ولكنها متنوعة في أماكن مختلفة ، بحيث يتضح أن الجدران لم تصنع في وقت واحد أو من قبل نفس المهندس المعماري & [رسقوو].

لقد استخدم النتائج التي توصل إليها ليؤلف نوعًا جديدًا من التاريخ & ndash ، حيث لم تكن الجدران الصلبة والباسيليكات القديمة على ما يبدو دائمًا لقطات من الحجر ، ولكنها مركبة من مواد من فترات مختلفة جدًا. بحلول أوائل القرن السادس عشر ، يمكن للآثار أن يروي قصة روما بمفتاح جديد. لقد تبعوا التدهور التدريجي لكل من الذوق والمهارة ، مما أثر على النحت قبل الهندسة المعمارية. رافاييل وكاستيجليون ، وهما يفحصان قوس قسطنطين ، يميزان تكوينه ، الذي وجداه & lsquobeautiful and well-المنفذة & rsquo ، من زخارفه ، التي كانت & lsquo ؛ مألوفة ، دون أي مهارة أو تصميم جيد & rsquo & ndash باستثناء spolia من فترات سابقة أفضل. كان الأثريون نقديين ، وحتى قضائيين ، وقناعاتهم الجمالية القوية ولدت التاريخ الثقافي الأول. أصبحت القدرة على التحمل تدريجيًا لها معنى خاص بها بالنسبة لهم. بدأ المتخصصون في فهم ما سيطلق عليه Alois Riegl لاحقًا قيمة & lsquouse للمباني المدمرة: القيمة & lsquo التي تم منحها من خلال الاستمرار في الوقت & rsquo ، والتي يمكن أن تعطي حتى الخراب الأكثر تعرضًا للضرر وغير المفهومة القدرة على تحريك المشاهدين. قام الرعاة والمهندسون المعماريون المتيقظون ، كما أظهر كارمون ، برسم المعنويات وبدأوا في محاولة الحفاظ على الهياكل المتحللة بدلاً من استبدالها.

في القرن السادس عشر ، أصبحت الصور هي الطريقة القياسية لتسجيل سنوات التلف. هناك نوعان من فن الجرافيك الأثري يثيران اهتمام ستيوارت بشكل خاص ، ويشكلان الموضوعات الأساسية لكتابها - أعمال فناني القرن السادس عشر الذين تخصصوا لأول مرة في تسجيل الآثار الرومانية ، وتلك الخاصة بجيوفاني باتيستا بيرانيزي بعد قرنين من الزمان. كان لدى Piranesi الكثير من القواسم المشتركة مع هؤلاء الفنانين السابقين: اهتمام مهووس بأدق تفاصيل الآثار الرومانية ، وصولاً إلى النباتات التي نمت بينهم إتقان التقنيات (الحفر والنقش) التي تطلبت من ممارسيهم مهاجمة اللوحات المعدنية وتشويهها ، بقدر ما فعل الوقت نفسه لموضوعاتهم وفتنهم بالسكان المعاصرين من الأطلال القديمة & ndash الشخصيات ، التي ترتدي الزي المعاصر دائمًا تقريبًا ، والتي تدعو المشاهدين إلى التفكير في المشاهد ، وتزويدهم بإحساس بالحجم ، وفي بعض الأحيان فعلوا أكثر من ذلك بكثير. ومع ذلك ، اختلفت ممارساتهم وتأثيرهم بشكل كبير.

في القرن السادس عشر ، قام فنانون مثل & Eacutetienne Dup & eacuterac بتسجيل آثار روما ورسكووس بشكل منهجي في الرسومات والمطبوعات. يصف ستيوارت متاجر المطبوعات الخاصة بهم ، والتي كانت متجمعة بالقرب من ساحة نافونا. قام السادة والرحالة بتغطية المواقع الرومانية الرئيسية في سلسلة تلو سلسلة من الصور. في عملهم ، & lsquow الذي ربما كان الخلفية & ndash الأشكال المعمارية المدمرة & ndash تصبح مقدمة وموضوعًا للانتباه إلى الأشكال الموجودة في المشهد. & rsquo تعلم المشاهدون & lsquothe التاريخ الذي يقف حولهم & rsquo & ndash تاريخًا معقدًا انتقل في أكثر من اتجاه واحد. أوضح Dup & eacuterac ومنافسيه ، وهم يصورون إنشاء Tempietto والكنيسة الجديدة للقديس Peter & rsquos ، إلى أي مدى يمكن للبناء أن يشبه الدمار.

& lsquoEighth View of the Colosseum & rsquo بواسطة Hieronymus Cock (1550)

لكن رسامي الجرافيك في القرن السادس عشر الذين أذهلوا ستيوارت هم أولئك الذين أتوا من البلدان المنخفضة ، مثل مارتن فان هيمسكيرك وهيرونيموس كوك. Van Heemskerck learned the dialectics of construction and demolition in Trastevere and on the Forum. He drew the changing cityscape that he saw, as old buildings vanished and half-finished new ones loomed, with drama and precision. Cock, by contrast, may not have visited Rome, though the title of his first series of Roman prints claimed that they rested on first-hand observation. What matters most, for Stewart, are the preoccupations they shared. Both were fascinated by violence itself, she argues, as well as by its effects on buildings, and this interest gave Cock&rsquos works in particular a distinctive and influential texture. His first set of Roman views came with a dedication to his patron, Cardinal de Granvelle. Written by the humanist Cornelius Grapheus, it posed a frightening question: if the rage of barbarians and the abyss of time had ruined Rome, how could one hope that any kingdom would survive? In keeping with this sentiment, Cock portrayed Rome&rsquos ruins not as neatly labelled model works of classical architecture, as some of his rivals did, but in &lsquofrail, vegetation-damaged, almost drooping images&rsquo. Every arch was broken, every stone ended in a jagged line from which plants sprouted. In Cock&rsquos work, as in others, small figures held lively discussions about the ruins. Sometimes, however, they menaced one another with robbery or rape. He turned a ruined arch under the Colosseum, a فورنيكس in Latin, into a scene of fornication (and of force).

Stewart scents allegory here. The owner of such a drawing or print might tease out connections to events in Cock&rsquos own world that had focused his attention on force and destruction &ndash an &lsquoallusion&rsquo, for example, &lsquoto the brutality of the Sack of Rome or the Spanish occupation of the Netherlands&rsquo. The latter suggestion, at least, seems unlikely: Cock drew the Colosseum in 1550, while the Spanish didn&rsquot occupy the Low Countries until 1556. But Stewart&rsquos perceptive readings of Cock&rsquos prints make clear how powerfully force preoccupied him. In later decades, after Spanish armies and local iconoclasts and rebels had spread terrifying scenes of destruction across the Netherlands, his Roman prints helped inspire Galle, Coornhert and others to create their own, more visibly allegorical suites of images of biblical history. They emphasised, as he had, &lsquothe decay of materials and the continuity of human action&rsquo, which they used to teach theological and moral lessons. Ruin landscapes in the north demanded more than reading from their viewers. They called for a hermeneutical approach that could detect the fall and redemption of humanity in the layers revealed by the collapse of a building. Illustrating Luther&rsquos Bible, Cranach had portrayed the fall of Babylon as the fall of Rome, with flames about to consume the Mausoleum of Hadrian. In the mid-century world, divided by religious war, antiquarian images of Rome&rsquos ruins formed part of the foundation for a profound new visual theology.

Piranesi was no theologian. But Stewart&rsquos treatment of his work reveals both his debt to the accomplishments of his predecessors and the vast and distinctive energy of his imagination. Ruins preoccupied him from the start, and from the start he found new ways to represent them. On the title page of his first book, the title itself appears as a fallen inscription, lying aslant the picture plane, overshadowed by an obelisk and surrounded, even overwhelmed, by other ruins and vegetation. The words furthest from the viewer are hard to pick out. But the author&rsquos name is clear, and that of his dedicatee even clearer. Inspired in part by the greatest scenic artists of his time, the Galli Bibiena family, Piranesi staged ruins with a theatrical flair that none of his predecessors could have matched. He demonstrated that it was not easy to see them as they were.

&lsquoAppian Way&rsquo (1756) by Piranesi

He also sought a high degree of precision, which he attained in various ways. He clambered up wooden scaffolds and spelunked in cryptoporticuses in order to measure buildings exactly. He devised methods for representing the diverse textures of brick, travertine and flint, and copied inscriptions with scrupulous care. At the same time, his capacious imagination was always at work, opening up the seemingly inhuman spaces of his Prisons. The skulls and sarcophagi, sphinx and herm that litter his four early grotesque plates suggest allegory: was he alluding, as Maurizio Calvesi argued long ago, to the four ages into which Giambattista Vico had divided historical time, using a visual form of cultural history to illustrate a verbal one? A 1756 image of the Appian Way jumbles busts and obelisks, the statue of the she-wolf that nourished Romulus and Remus, and tombs for Piranesi himself and other living antiquaries into a single wild mélange, in which everything, as Stewart shows, is antique although &lsquonothing is factual.&rsquo This was antiquarianism as late baroque fantasy. Yet Piranesi, as Heather Hyde Minor has shown, compiled massive, splendid illustrated books, in which he engaged in detail with the traditions of antiquarian scholarship.

Piranesi put all these skills at the service of a historical thesis: the Etruscan origins of Roman culture, which he traced through minute study of the ancient stone plan of the city, the fragmentary Forma Urbis Romae, and wild imaginative leaps. But he also used them to show, with startling expressiveness, what Rome&rsquos remains actually looked like. He made the ancient buildings reveal themselves as seen from the worm&rsquos eye view of a walker in the ruined city, and &ndash brilliantly gifted at portraying clouds and smoke &ndash he evoked the experience of seeing Rome&rsquos ruins, and its trees, against a night sky. He populated the ruins not with disputatious antiquarians or dangerous characters but with the beggars and other marginal people who actually lived in them. When visitors made their Italian journeys in the late 18th and early 19th centuries, they saw Rome&rsquos ruins through Piranesi&rsquos eyes. No one did more to bring out the beauty of the unfinished and the broken, which would become core parts of a new literature and art.

T he Ruins Lesson makes one point above all: there was no single dominant way of observing ancient ruins and portraying what remained. Jessica Maier&rsquos The Eternal City: A History of Rome in Maps provides a rich complementary account. في Civilisation and Its Discontents, Freud, antiquarian of the mind and connoisseur of archaeology, argued that it would be impossible to trace the history of Rome&rsquos development on a single map. The temples and buildings of Republican Rome were now only ruins, and not &lsquoruins of themselves but of later restorations&rsquo. These in turn were &lsquodovetailed into the jumble of a great metropolis which has grown up in the last few centuries since the Renaissance&rsquo. The church of Santa Maria sopra Minerva occupied the ground once devoted to the Temple of Minerva the Pantheon of Hadrian filled the space where the original one built by Agrippa once stood. The task of depicting them, or even placing them on a map, was hopeless: &lsquoThe same space cannot have two different contents.&rsquo

Happily, the scholars and artists whose works Maier surveys hadn&rsquot read their Freud. For centuries, as she shows, mapmakers and miniaturists, antiquarians and cartographers set out to do exactly what he thought impossible: to represent at least in part not only the city of Rome, but some of the ways in which it had changed over time. Their approaches were as varied as their skills. Some, looking down at Rome from the hills of Lazio, saw the medieval city of towers, like a stone forest others, as they scanned the city, spotted ancient temples and sculptures or later churches and monasteries and ignored the spaces between them. As popes and other patrons drove long, straight streets through the alleys and arcades that had made old neighbourhoods impassable, as the city itself revived from late medieval depopulation and the Sack of 1527, Rome&rsquos urban form became increasingly coherent and legible.

Leonardo Bufalini in the mid-16th century and Antonio Tempesta fifty years later produced bird&rsquos-eye views of a city crammed with modern palaces and markets as well as ancient monuments. Inspired in part by Bufalini, Bartolomeo Marliani and Pirro Ligorio recreated the ancient city. Marliani, a model of epistemic and artistic modesty, worked up a precise but skeletal recreation of late imperial Rome, which he marked off by topographical features and the ground plans of major buildings. Ligorio crafted something completely different: a magnificently busy array of circuses, temples and housing that packed the Aurelian walls. Even the anonymous buildings that filled otherwise empty areas were picked out in plausible and exciting architectural detail. &lsquoThrough sheer abundance,&rsquo Maier writes, &lsquohe also gives a sense of the city as a living, breathing space.&rsquo As did Piranesi in his plan of the Campus Martius &ndash a busy, crowded map &lsquoreplete with figments of his brilliant imagination&rsquo, which took off from the surviving fragments of the ancient marble city plan, and which he represented as if inscribed on a massive but partly broken stone slab. Some scholars, such as the Dutch geographer Paulus Merula, even found ingenious ways to map change over time. Omitting most buildings from the plan he drew up in the 1590s, he depicted the walls of the original, tiny city, Roma Quadrata, the Servian Wall of the fourth century bce and the late antique Aurelian Wall as if they had all coexisted. By juxtaposing them, he showed the city&rsquos growth over time in a simple, vivid way. Maier&rsquos protagonists had little interest in &lsquouse value&rsquo. Their Rome was defiantly imperial: grand, lively and largely untouched by time. Yet it too was an imagined beauty, painstakingly reconstructed.


Ranch of the Friends: The Extraordinary Evolution of the L.A. County Poor Farm

I have officially been to one of the most fascinating places in Los Angeles County. No, it is not the new branch of Soho House about to open in DTLA, or that private club in the Staples Center everyone is always talking about. In fact, this place is deserted except for clutters of cats and was never the stomping ground of anyone rich or famous (unless they were there for a photo opportunity). But the L.A. County Poor Farm, later known as Rancho Los Amigos, was an exclusive club of sorts. It was a place of refuge for the destitute, the infirm, the addicted, and the elderly. It was a revolutionary concept when it opened in 1888, but since the late 1980s it has been left to become a ghost town. A ghost town whose lush overgrown grounds whisper of the comfort that many lost souls once found beneath its shaded trees.

The old Poor Farm campus is in Downey, right off the Imperial Highway. It is on the south side of the highway, while its grandchild, the still very active Rancho Los Amigos National Rehabilitation Center, straddles the north side. After some confusion, my friend and I located the abandoned complex, which appears for all the world like a lovely college campus that was quickly deserted due to some sudden disaster. We parked in front of the old administration building, alone except for two construction workers lying in the grass, eating their lunch in front of a condemned cottage. We explored the campus and found an abandoned church, a large Craftsman mansion (once the superintendent's home) with boarded up windows, a vine covered Spanish-style complex (once the women's ward), an empty auditorium, a giant laundry building, row upon row of patient housing that form streets like a Wild West movie set, a giant graffiti covered water tank, a bus stop, occupational therapy buildings, and wide green fields and concrete yards covered in trespassers' recent debris -- including an oddly ironic bottle of non-alcoholic O'Doul's.

Then there were the cats -- everywhere there were cats. On the boarded up doors, there were signs reading DO NOT FEED THE CATS, but we saw many multicolored cat dishes, proving this rule is not strictly enforced. Occasionally a jogger or a Rehab Center employee on a lunch break would pass by us, and the numerous broken windows and overturned office chairs led us to believe that there were probably some unfortunate souls sleeping the day away in the condemned buildings. The grounds were beautiful and fragrant and the leaves rustled a soothing rhythm. I say this not to whitewash the place, but rather to say that walking along the forgotten streets we did not feel like we were in the midst of lingering, unbearable suffering or institutional agony. We thought of all the homeless people trapped in the gritty hell of downtown L.A., and wished that somehow this peaceful place could become a refuge once again.

As Remarkable as a Waltz in the Midst of a Fast Day

Before it even officially became part of the United States in 1850, California had a large-scale humanitarian crisis brewing. Thousands of single men had rushed to the state in search of gold in 1848, only to find nothing but back-breaking labor and meager incomes. As these kinless men aged, they became destitute -- unable to work because of health problems or lack of education. The 1870s brought a flood of already ill people, lured to California by books like "California for Health, Pleasure and Residence," which promised an atmosphere "so pure" that it could cure almost any infirmity. These people, often from middle or lower class backgrounds, usually found themselves still ill, without networks of family and friends to support them. By the boom time 1880s, the L.A. County Hospital (opened in 1858) was overrun with such patients, along with more recent indigent arrivals via the newly constructed Santa Fe Railroad.

In 1887, the L.A. County Board of Supervisors decided to build a new institution that would house homeless, able-bodied "inmates" in a bucolic rural setting. That August, the county purchased 124.4 acres of farmland in unincorporated L.A. County, near the small town of Downey. The land was cleared and roadways were built. Shading trees were planted along with roses and other fragrant flowers. The original campus (situated approximately where the auditorium is today) featured three main buildings. An all-purpose Victorian style wooden building housed the kitchen, a reading room, trunk room, offices, and bedrooms for employees. Flanking this building were identical men's and women's wards, made of mesa brick, with long porches where inmates could "enjoy the evening breeze, smoke a clay pipe (supplied by the Farm), or take an afternoon nap in a rocking chair." 2 (Centennial, pg. 26) A working farm was also cultivated, to supply the inmates both at the farm and County Hospital with food. The excess was sold at market to defray the institution's cost.

The first inmates were moved to the farm in December 1888. There were already around ninety men and women living at the farm in March 1888 when Dr. Edwin L. Burdick, a physician with farming experience, was hired as superintendent. By 1892, the L.A. Times reported:

Over the next 12 years, under Dr. Burdick's leadership, the County Poor Farm grew into one of L.A.'s most lauded projects. As more buildings were built, it became a catchall institution, with wards for patients afflicted with mental illness, asthma, alcoholism, syphilis and physical disabilities. Most residents were elderly, and some were expected to stay only until they were well enough to work again. These men and women often performed light duties around the farm and were paid a small sum to take charge of the chickens or tend to sicker inmates. Then there were the inmates Dr. Burdick simply diagnosed with "old age," like a 100-year-old man from Britain who had fought in the battle of Waterloo. 4 Though most of the inmates had been poor laborers, there were exceptions like William Willmore, a once prosperous developer of what would become Long Beach, and James Eastman, a highly respected lawyer whose life had been ruined by alcoholism. While Willmore's friends eventually rescued him, no one came to Eastman's aid, and he was buried in the farm's (now lost) cemetery.

The farm became a popular place for the more fortunate to visit. Ladies' charity groups, the Chamber of Commerce, and health advocates from all over the country visited the farm to get ideas, hear lectures, and enjoy the farm's "novel" setting. A journalist visiting in 1902 described it thusly:

Though the story paints a rosy picture, there were darker tales as well. There were occasional reports of inmate mistreatment. There were also stories of despondent residents like George Deacin, who drowned himself in a nearby river, and Bud Lewis, the farm's bread cutter, who jumped out of a window during a heated discussion. Concerns grew louder after Burdick retired. The farm suffered a series of lackluster superintendents. In 1911, a grand jury investigation resulted in mandated sweeping changes. These included fair distribution of food, clean and well lit wards, and "humane and kindly treatment" of inmates, with the promise that "any case of unnecessary force of violence on the part of employees is punished by instant dismissal." 6 Despite mismanagement, the 400-acre working farm (tended mostly by civilian labor) prospered, the orange crop alone bringing in $13,000 in 1909. This led one scribe to joke, "'Down to the County Poor Farm' is all a mistake, it should be 'Down to the County Rich Farm!'" 7

A Ranch, a Hospital and a Home

In 1915, a new superintendent arrived who would transform the farm into a world class rehabilitation hospital and tight knit "small town," made up of thousands of patients, employees and their families. William Ruddy Harriman was only 26 years old when he and his wife, Elinor, moved into the large house reserved for the superintendent. A brilliant and kind man, Harriman had the personal touch that makes a born leader -- he memorized the name of every employee and patient ( he preferred the term patient to inmate) and told all he met to "Just call me Bill." 10 He was also firm in his beliefs about how the institution should be run, writing, "Cleanliness, sobriety and respect for the rights of the others are encouraged, and where necessary, enforced." 11 Hoping to erase the stigma of being a "poor farm," Harriman had the farm's name changed to Hondo (for the Rio Hondo, which ran through the property) in 1918. The area encompassing the County farm at Hondo was officially a town with its own post office it would not be absorbed into Downey until the 1950s.

Over the first decade and a half of Harriman's reign numerous improvements were made to the farm. A new administration building, auditorium, infirmary buildings, medical offices, men's and women's psychopathic wards, additional housing for staff and patients, and bathhouses were built. Relationships with charitable groups were encouraged, early physical and occupational therapy was introduced, and the patient's social life was expanded with frequent motion picture shows, musical events, and arts and crafts. The farm itself continued to flourish, winning prizes for its milking cows and valuable Belgian and Percheron draft horses. By 1929, the average number of patients staying on the farm was around 1,900. 12 Increasing numbers of bedridden patients were being brought over from the county hospital. Able-bodied patients could participate in furniture making, work at the printing press, or play sports. Employees also lived at the farm and formed baseball teams, basketball teams, musical groups, and social clubs.

The Depression slammed into the county farm at Hondo. As funding dried up, the patient population exploded, necessitating the construction of a tent city that would be used for decades. In 1932, as the farm increasingly turned towards rehabilitation and medicine, the farm's name was changed to Ranchos Los Amigos -- "ranch of the friends." By 1934, Rancho Los Amigos had grown to 540 acres, with around 2,781 patients of all ages, infirmities and socio-economic backgrounds. The average stay around this time was 3 ½ years. Though many patients still came from poor backgrounds, the depression brought a greater number of lawyers, artists, scientists, writers and many lady music teachers onto the campus. An article from the L.A. Times described the variety of patients that year:

The employees and patients generally lived in harmony. The power house whistle blew six times a day to signal mealtimes and bedtimes, and soothing concerts were often played over the Ranchos' campus-wide speaker system. Harriman's son, Bill Jr., and other children who grew up at the Rancho remembered a unique and oddly magical childhood, replete with a miniature zoo, tended by patients, and a small golf course. Bill Jr. credited his lifelong love of music (he became a jazz drummer) to a ragtag band of patients who would play on the streets of the campus every day. "It was very loosely organized and nobody bothered to read any music," he remembered. They would sing their way through folk and early American songs with ukuleles, guitars, violins and mouth harps. It was really the first live music I ever heard." 14

Of course, the ranch was a place full of very sick people with very real problems. Alcoholism was rampant. In 1935, many patients became ill and violent after drinking a bootleg shellac alcohol they had bought from a corrupt druggist in downtown Downey. There were sad stories like that of Eulalia Herbert, an elderly widow who had sewed or stuffed over $2,300 in relief money into her dress. Upon her arrival to the ranch, shocked nurses had to peel the money off her body when they went to give her a bath. More and more chronically ill children were also moved to the Rancho at this time.

With the passage of the Social Security Act of 1938 and the coming of World War II, many of the Rancho's elderly and able bodied patients moved to nursing homes or found outside work in the aviation industry and left the ranch. Some who considered the ranch home chose to stay on as paying patients. Some who could not leave, but who wanted to help in the war effort, formed a company called WARCO, which ran a subsidiary shop of Reeves Rubber Company in the Rancho Crafters building. There were other ways go help the war effort at the Rancho. Many wheelchair bound patients worked for Bendix Aviation and other aircraft companies, sorting through sweepings sent from local factories for usable nuts, bolts and usable metals. 15 Part of the ranch became an Army base called Camp Morrow. In 1944, an emergency hospital was founded, and a group of 32 polio victims was transferred to the Rancho. This was the beginning of the Rancho's polio ward, which would become one of the premier polio treatment and rehabilitation centers in the country.

The late '40s and '50s were a time of massive growth and change, and by 1951 the Rancho was considered a premier hospital, whose primary mission was "providing geriatric, medical and nursing care, as well as care for those suffering from chronic diseases or convalescing from medical or surgical conditions." 16 It also provided necessary "medical, surgical, and ancillary care for the largest concentration of respirators-dependent poliomyelitis patients in history." 17 There were no more prize Holsteins or endless orange groves. One by one, the hallmarks of the poor farm were shut down -- the mental health wards were shuttered, and the prize milking cows were sold. William Harriman retired in 1952, and died only two years later. By the late '50s, the County Poor Farm was a thing of the past, but Rancho Los Amigos Hospital was alive and well.

Over the next six decades the Rancho continued to grow. It became a highly respected county medical center of rehabilitation, research and hope. Its new growth was centered around the new campus on the north side of the Imperial Highway. Though most of the long term infirm and elderly patients died or were transferred to nursing homes or other facilities, a chosen few were allowed to stay. Until 1976, Eddie Higgins, a beloved developmentally handicapped man who had called the ranch home since 1926, could be found making his daily rounds, cheering everyone from doctors to fellow patients. 18

By the late 1980s, most of the buildings on the South Campus were abandoned. Over the years, numerous plans have been floated for the property, including the construction of an environmentally friendly county data center. But still the ghostly buildings of the poor farm campus remain, moldering reminders that charity is not a new concept, even in the Wild, Wild West.


Aberdeen History

RCAHMS has been working with the National Library of Scotland and the ‘Scotsman’ newspaper to tell the stories of the nation’s cities.

From intricate seventeenth century sketches and eighteenth century town plans, to pioneering Victorian photography and modern aerial survey imagery, the material from the RCAHMS National Collection is being used to produce visual timelines of the history of Scotland’s major cities and towns.

You can browse and buy all the imagery featured in the supplements – plus a lot more – in our series of galleries and through our online, searchable database of architecture and archaeology, Canmore.


I may be the last person who remembers Ashopton and Derwent

Bamford beckoned me to sit down, eager to begin her story.

“When Rose Cottage in Ashopton came vacant, my parents moved there, and we lived in the village until 1938.â€

“What do you remember about life in Ashopton?†I asked.

“I remember our cottage was very simple. There was no electricity, just a paraffin lamp in the living room. Candles were used everywhere else. The loo was an earthen closet a long way from the house.â€

I nodded, recalling the accounts I’d read of villagers rehoused by the Water Board in homes with modern bathrooms. It had made the move easier.

Visitors to the Ladybower Reservoir in 2018 could see the ruins of Derwent Church and Derwent Hall (Credit: Anthony Devlin/Getty Images)

“And what about Derwent village, Mabel? Do you remember it?â€

“Oh, yes, I was going to school there, even as the construction of Ladybower was underway. We had to walk one-and-a-half miles to Derwent. Sometimes the shooters and beaters in grouse season gave us a lift. But the rides we liked best were offered by the pipeline workers. They’d lift us inside the big black pipes they were constructing at the site of the reservoir,†she said.

أومأت. I had noticed the large pipes that span Ladybower at Fairholmes, where the visitor centre sits at the head of Ladybower. They were easily big enough to hold a child.

“I remember in the cold weather there was always a fire lit at school,†Bamford continued. We’d bring a big potato with our initials carved into it and Teacher would bake them for us and make us cups of cocoa.â€

Ninety-two-year-old Mabel Bamford still remembers living in the village of Ashopton before it was submerged in the Ladybower Reservoir (Credit: Helen Moat)

Bamford told me more stories: of the policeman who came to her house to berate her for stealing apples and of the excitement in Ashopton when the petrol station owners generated electricity with a windmill-like contraption. And how the Derwent young men walked to the Methodist Church at Ashopton to scrounge for food at their social gatherings, rechristened the “Bachelors’ Tea†as a result.

I left Bamford, feeling privileged to have heard her first-hand stories of the drowned villages. I’d been offered a glimpse into the past firstly with Derwent's reappearance, and again with Bamford.

One year on, the ruins of Derwent village have returned to the murky depths of Ladybower Reservoir. I’m now left wondering: will Derwent village stay hidden for another decade or more? Or with climate change, will its resurrection become a regular occurrence? I will have to wait and see.

Sunken Civilisation is a BBC Travel series that explores mythical underwater worlds that seem too fantastical to exist today but are astonishingly real.

Join more than three million BBC Travel fans by liking us on موقع التواصل الاجتماعي الفيسبوك, or follow us on تويتر و انستغرام.


(left) Side portico of S. Giovanni in Laterano: monument to King Henry IV of France by Nicolas Cordier (right) S. Maria Maggiore - Cappella Paolina: relief celebrating the annexation of Ferrara

Relations between Pope Clement VIII and Henry IV of France became so good that the Pope agreed to annul Henry's marriage with Marguerite of Valois after 27 years. The King soon married Maria de' Medici, niece of Ferdinand I, Grand Duke of Tuscany. The former Huguenot who narrowly escaped being murdered at St. Bartholomew's Day, became a champion of the Church to the point that in 1606 (shortly after the death of the Pope) a bronze statue portraying him as a Roman emperor was placed in S. Giovanni in Laterano the Pope erected a small monument celebrating the Peace of Vervins outside S. Maria Maggiore and made reference to the king in many inscriptions, including the gigantic one which he placed on the fa�ade of Palazzo Senatorio.
Pope Clement VIII did not start any major new buildings, but was busy completing those initiated by Pope Sixtus V. He went ahead with the decoration of S. Pietro where he built Cappella Clementina and he completed Palazzo Apostolico in S. Giovanni in Laterano he renovated the transept and built a gigantic altar and a similarly gigantic organ. Directly or through his nephews the Pope promoted the restoration of several churches: S. Nicol� in Carcere, S. Cesareo, S. Prassede other cardinals took care of S. Maria della Vallicella, S. Susanna and SS. Nereo and Achilleo (in this church Cardinal Cesare Baronio applied the iconographical plan which emphasized the role of the Roman Church in the early centuries of Christianity by portraying the martyrdoms of the first saints).
The Pope built also Collegio Clementino and Palazzo del Monte di Piet�. In 1600 the incorrupt body of St. Cecilia was re-discovered and it was portrayed in a famous statue by Stefano Maderno.

Pope Paul V

ال conclave which followed the death of Pope Clement VIII showed the growing importance of France: King Henry IV with the help of the Aldobrandini cardinals was successful in supporting the election of Cardinal Alessandro de' Medici, who had been nuncio in Paris and was a (distant) relative of his second wife. He became Pope Leo XI, but his pontificate was very short: only 26 days. Sic florui the inscription on his funerary monument is a reference indicating that he was in blossom for just a few days.
At the following conclave the cardinals, after eight days of heated debate, elected Cardinal Camillo Borghese who at the time was leading the Inquisition and was not regarded as belonging either to the Spanish or to the French party.
His rigid views on the superior authority of the pope soon led him into a confrontation with the Republic of Venice which clearly showed that the times when an excommunication was able to force an emperor to kiss the pope's slipper to ask forgiveness had gone. The issue at stake was related to the jurisdiction over two priests (actually two noblemen having some ecclesiastical benefits) arrested and charged with several crimes. The Pope claimed through his nuncio that they should be tried in Rome. The Venetian Senate refused and the Pope excommunicated the entire government of Venice and placed an interdict on the city. To his great dismay the clergy (with the exception of the Jesuits and two other orders) sided with the Republic masses, weddings, funerals continued to be celebrated. Eventually in March 1607 Pope Paul V withdrew his censure without being able to force Venice to make concessions: the Jesuits remained banned from Venice for nearly sixty years.


World's Most-Visited Ancient Ruins

Lounging under a striped beach umbrella along the Mediterranean isn&rsquot the main draw for travelers who come through Kusadasi, Turkey. Many are here to explore the ancient ruins of nearby Ephesus, including an amphitheater that still hosts concerts&mdashmuch as it did 2,000 years ago.

&ldquoAncient ruins give us a connection to the past that&rsquos visceral,&rdquo says Mary Jo Arnoldi, chair of the anthropology department at the Smithsonian National Museum of Natural History. &ldquoThis was a real place, and you can walk through it.&rdquo The world&rsquos most-visited ancient ruins, among them Ephesus, can indeed bring history alive. They feed our curiosity and inspire us to contemplate the passing of time&mdashand gawk at their sheer size.

&ldquoRuins represent human achievement writ large,&rdquo says Lynn Meskell, director of the Stanford Archaeology Center. Perhaps none looms larger than the Great Wall, which snakes for 5,500 miles across China&mdasha country of 1.3 billion increasingly travel-hungry people. The picturesque Badaling section is easily accessible from Beijing, and its combination of mass appeal, proximity, and infrastructure accounts for more than 9 million annual visitors, enough to propel the Great Wall to the No. 1 ranking.

Pop culture also fuels the romance of these ruins, whether it&rsquos a highbrow novel set during an ancient Chinese dynasty or a blockbuster movie starring the Egyptian pyramids. Americans recognize other ruins as the model for our own monuments, notably those of the National Mall in Washington, D.C. &ldquoWhen we look at the Acropolis with its majestic Parthenon in Athens, we don&rsquot just see a monument to Classical Greece,&rdquo observes John Papadopoulos, chair of the archaeology interdepartmental program at UCLA, citing it as a worldwide inspiration for democracy.

Such symbolic power can come at a price some of the most-visited ruins are in danger of being loved too much. &ldquoWe have the tremendous privilege of going to these places,&rdquo says Meskell. &ldquoWe enrich our own lives by visiting them. But we need to promote responsible, respectful, and considerate tourism.&rdquo

Read on to discover which ancient ruins attract the most visitors&mdashand heed Meskell&rsquos advice so that these sites will continue to outlast us.

The Methodology: Our criteria were that ruins be several hundred years old (in the Americas, at least 600), human-made, and no longer actively used for purposes other than tourism and research. While Asia has hundreds of Shinto shrines and Buddhist temples that meet the first two standards, those sacred sites are still used for worship. People still live in Pueblo de Taos in New Mexico and the ancient Chinese villages of Xidi and Hongcun, so we omitted them too. We used numbers from verifiable sources, such as tourism boards, ministries of culture, archaeological surveys, and local newspapers.


Angelokastro هي قلعة بيزنطية في جزيرة كورفو. وهي تقع في الجزء العلوي من أعلى قمة في الجزيرة وعلى خط الساحل الشمالي الغربي بالقرب من Palaiokastritsa وتم بناؤها على تضاريس شديدة الانحدار وصخرية. يبلغ ارتفاعه 305 مترًا على منحدر شديد الانحدار فوق البحر ويطل على مدينة كورفو وجبال البر الرئيسي لليونان إلى الجنوب الشرقي ومنطقة واسعة من كورفو باتجاه الشمال الشرقي والشمال الغربي.

أنجيلوكاسترو هي واحدة من أهم المجمعات المحصنة في كورفو. كانت عبارة عن أكروبوليس قام بمسح المنطقة على طول الطريق إلى جنوب البحر الأدرياتيكي وقدم وجهة إستراتيجية هائلة لساكن القلعة.

شكل Angelokastro مثلثًا دفاعيًا مع قلعتي Gardiki و Kassiopi ، والتي غطت Corfu & quots الدفاعات إلى الجنوب والشمال الغربي والشمال الشرقي.

لم تسقط القلعة أبدًا ، على الرغم من الحصارات المتكررة ومحاولات الاستيلاء عليها عبر القرون ، ولعبت دورًا حاسمًا في الدفاع عن الجزيرة ضد غارات القراصنة وخلال حصارات العثمانيين الثلاثة لكورفو ، مما ساهم بشكل كبير في هزيمتهم.

خلال الغزوات ، ساعدت في إيواء السكان الفلاحين المحليين. قاتل القرويون أيضًا ضد الغزاة الذين لعبوا دورًا نشطًا في الدفاع عن القلعة.

الفترة المحددة لبناء القلعة غير معروفة ، لكنها غالبًا ما تُنسب إلى عهد مايكل الأول كومنينوس وابنه مايكل الثاني كومنينوس. يعود أول دليل وثائقي للقلعة إلى عام 1272 ، عندما استولى عليها جيوردانو دي سان فيليس من أجل تشارلز أنجو ، الذي استولى على كورفو من مانفريد ، ملك صقلية في عام 1267.

من عام 1387 إلى نهاية القرن السادس عشر ، كانت أنجيلوكاسترو العاصمة الرسمية لكورفو ومقر Provveditore Generale del Levanteحاكم الجزر الأيونية وقائد الأسطول الفينيسي الذي كان يتمركز في كورفو.

عادة ما يتم تعيين حاكم القلعة (كاستيلان) من قبل مجلس مدينة كورفو ويتم اختياره من بين النبلاء في الجزيرة.

تعتبر Angelokastro واحدة من أكثر البقايا المعمارية شهرة في الجزر الأيونية.


Hove in the Past

The land on which the factory stood belonged originally to the Stanford Estate who sold two parcels of land in 1882 and 1892 to Frederick Napper, Brighton Miller. Land from the latter deal was leased to Horace Saunders, Brighton timber merchant, who in 1907 exercised the option to purchase. Napper sold the south part to Adolphe Drincqbier and the western portion to George and Frederick Parsons. The remaining part was leased to George Kelsey, coachbuilder, and Clarence J. Kerridge, builder, and this part of the land was gradually sold off.

It is interesting to note that there was an important industrial site at 2 Hove Park Villas from 1900 to
1903, before Dubarry’s came on the scene. Three brilliant brothers – Horace, Eustace and Oswald Short – backed by Colonel Gouraud established the Menlo Laboratories here Eustace and Oswald created their first hot air balloon on the premises, while Horace worked on his own inventions that required four separate patents. The brothers went on to become the first English aircraft manufacturers.
ارى Aldrington Recreation Ground for more details on the former Menlo Laboratories in Hove and the Short Brothers balloon flight at the Grand Opening of Aldrington Recreation Ground (Wish Park) on the 24th May 1900.


Video, Sitemap-Video, Sitemap-Videos